1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Domain controllers cant replicate

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ren, Feb 14, 2003.

Mark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ren

ren Guest Thread Starter

I have only got 2 domain controllers on my network, the primary server deals with all my DNS, file charing etc, server2 is our proxy server but also doubles up as a backup domain controller.
    The problem is server2 cannot update active directory from server1
    i get the following message when trying to connect to server1 from server2
    "The domain controller server1 was not validated because. The RPC server is unavailable"
    I am also getting plenty of error events on both servers, the error i am getting on server1 is event 1645
    "The Directory Service received a failure while trying to perform an authenticated RPC call to another Domain Controller. The failure is that the desired Service Principal Name (SPN) is not registered on the target server. The server being contacted is daa52d87-1d82-44f1-b032-a6930524e669._msdcs.isenterprisesintl.co.uk. The SPN being used is E3514235-4B06-11D1-AB04-00C04FC2DCD2/daa52d87-1d82-44f1-b032-a6930524e669/[email protected]
    Please verify that the names of the target server and domain are correct. Please also verify that the SPN is registered on the computer account object for the target server on the KDC servicing the request. If the target server has been recently promoted, it will be necessary for knowledge of this computer's identity to replicate to the KDC before this computer can be authenticated. "
    I have looked this up on ms.com and found an article explaing a hotfix will fix this. All updates are installed, so it obviously isnt!!
    it then goes on to mention setspn.exe
    this app runs on server2 but cannot find either server, it tells me there is no such object??
    it generates and error on server1 and wont run??
    I have also gone through several other articles on RPC and SPN that i have got from ms.com, but nothing that is allowing DC's to communicate correctly.
    ###
    Id like to add the error i am getting on server2 is a SAM
    error: 16650. I get another error event every 2 minutes
    I have also looked into this on ms.com, but it just tells me to look elsewhere within event viewer, which then takes me back to RPC!!
    ####

can anyone give me some idea what i need to do here to sort this.
    There is a lot of info here so i haVe only posted the basics
    Thanks

2. ren

ren Guest Thread Starter

just been running a few more checks and have seen a descrepancy between the 2 servers
    server1
    Schema server = server1
    Domain server = server1
    PDC server = server1
    RID server = server1
    Infrastructure server = server1
    server2
    Schema server = server1
    Domain server = server1
    PDC server = server1
    RID server = server1
    Infrastructure server = server2 ---- ????

I have tried to change this setting on server2 in active directory operations masters, but it says
    "The current domain controller is the operations master. To transfer the operations master role to another computer, you must first conenct to it"
    But it wont let me connect to the other DC because it cant find the RPC server!!! argghh
    is there another way to alter these settings?? anyone??

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118780

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice