Domain Group Policy Problem.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Sealclubber

Hey guys, i just recently made a OU on our Domain Controller and added about 10 computers to it (computers, not users) and had a Startup script applyed to that OU through Group Policy, now this start up script works for all machines but one, which is our problem machine.. it won't apply the GPO. i did a gpupdate /force on it, restarted and still no-go.

If anyone can at least give me an idea of what the hells going on i'd greatly appreteate it.

Have you checked all the DNS resolution and ensured that this PC is resolving DNS properly? I'ld check all the IPCONFIG stuff and see that vrs a working PC. Also look at this link there is a ton of troubleshooting things to o on.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...ons/0c627456-5dfa-44db-b43a-e41c8f4f0923.mspx

You did mention this is your problem PC is it having other issues as well? or is this the one you wrote about in a few other threads as the one you want to ensure has the GPO?

Sealclubber

Its been a problematic PC actually, It first started with delayed write errors, i had to reimage the machine. then its onboard NIC died, so i slammed in a PCI NIC and now it refuses to apply the startup script. it loads the logon and logoff scripts fine, but it won't touch the start-up script, i'm baffled.. which doesn't say much.

but all the DNS information is fine, although this one machine does take much longer then the other machines (same everything but NIC) to boot up, normally about 2-3x longer.

[edit] Also, i get a end-task cmd.exe popup when i go to log-off of a user. does that mean the script is still running?

any ideas? [/edit]

Does it make a difference which user logs on to the computer in question that will not apply the policy?

Do you have any policies that relate to that computer/ip number which might over-ride this current policy you are trying to put in place.

With MS most of the time deny rights takes precendence over allow rights, unless the right is explicit in which cause the explicit rights takes precedence over the inherited right. So interestingly enough deny inherited rights take precendence over allow inherited rights, but allow explicit rights take precedence over inherited deny rights [confused yet? - me too sometimes]

actually because this stuff can get complicated quickly and confusing too MS seems to recommend the best practice of trying to apply the minimal allow rights needed and stay away from deny rights as much as possible [unless obsolutely needed]. I agree with their thinking, less is more...

Rights in my opinion may seem simple yet are probably one of the hardest network things to troubleshoot when a network and groups, polocies get over grown. It sucks when you have to troubleshoot it and someone is leaning on you to get the job done, that;s life on the network lines I guess.

This is why outside of work I like low tech and play in a rock band - check it out www.aconstantstate.com.

Best and I hope you get your problem solved.

Sealclubber

Strangely enough it matters not what user logs in, it will run all logon scripts. but won't touch any start up scripts regardless of how basic (mkdir C:\StartupScriptTest).

I'm going to re-image that particular machine right now, so hopefully when all is done, it will turn out to be a local thing. but i highly doubt it, alas i need results.

The only thing ever applyed to that machine was this one, and single GPO, it works for every other machine but that one machine.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online