1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Domain Login Problem

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by bobroosth, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobroosth

bobroosth Thread Starter

I have a client running a machine with Server 2003 Standard. Its only use right now is serving up QuickBooks data. Four users. As of Tuesday afternoon, none of them seem to be able to actually log in. What I mean is that their client machines (XP Pro) accept their domain id and password, then take a very long time to come up a desktop. Once there, the shared folder containing the QB data is visible in Windows Explorer, but a username/password is requested when one tries to display the folder content. This is new behavior as of Tuesday.

In additiion, when I try to add a domain user, I receive message that there is not trust relationship between the computer and the server. The fix is supposed to be to move the computer to a workgroup, the re-join the domain. It allowed me to leave the domain, but when I tried to re-join I got an error.

DHCP is from the router. The client computers get a dynamic IP, but static DNS, 192.168.1.1.
    I am suspicious that the DNS server is not configured properly. Besides the above issues, the clients cannot browse the internet. DNS does not appear to be operating.

What I see in DNS setup is that the server IP is static at 192.168.1.1. The dsl router gateway IP is .254.

DNS is configured to monitor only .1.1, with forwarders to AT&T's DNS servers and .254. There is one domain, company.local.

2. gavin25

gavin25

Have you tried to do nslookup on your workstations and see if the server ip is being resolved properly or not...

3. srhoades

srhoades

Did you try restarting the DNS service or the server alltogether?

4. bobroosth

bobroosth Thread Starter

Did not try nslookup. Did restart entire server. Had been running for something like nine months....

5. bobroosth

bobroosth Thread Starter

I did play with nslookup on the server. It returned unknown for the first level. I think it should be returning company.local. But I don't know how to make that happen.

6. srhoades

srhoades

Check the logs on the server.

7. bobroosth

bobroosth Thread Starter

Please be more specific.

8. srhoades

srhoades

The eventviewer.

9. gavin25

gavin25

If nslookup is not working then you could probably use the hosts file to create a static entry for the domain server in all the workstations and see if that works. If that works then its definetely your DNS that is having issues. By the way the hosts file is located at c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\ just edit it with notepad and create an entry like the server ip and then the domain name..which will be company.local, in your case...

10. Jbumpus

Jbumpus

What are the odds that IPSec has been implemented to secure communications through out the network, might that have something to do with your issue?

11. bobroosth

bobroosth Thread Starter

I don't see any evidence of that. I had another consultant take a look. His conclusion after a couple of hours: DNS and AD are not communicating. Only solution: wipe and reload Server 2003. I decided to skip that and consider running the box on XP Pro simply for file sharing and backup. Domain security is not needed. Only 4-5 users total. The only server app is the Quickbooks database manager. The only major issue will be drivers. The box is a Dell Poweredge 1800 (dual Xeon, Adaptec SCSI controller).

12. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Sounds kind of drastic for just a DNS probelm, once you have DNS working right AD information will kick in.... and this consultant didn't have any other ideas?

13. srhoades

srhoades

I repeat my advice. There should be plenty of errors in the DNS, FRS, and system section fo the eventviewer that would greatly help in tracking down this problem.

14. silverfroi

silverfroi

Sounds like the problem is with the DNS server. Is your AD your DNS server too?

15. AZenTech

AZenTech

Can you ping the clients by name from the server? Can you ping the server by name from the clients?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/819336