1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Domain Name Server Configuration

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Astaeria, Jun 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Astaeria

Astaeria Thread Starter

When I connect to the Internet, I can stay connected for a while, then the connection just drops. When I diagnose it, it says that there is a problem with the Domain Name Server Configuration, and says it was unable to ping microsoft.com. Then shortly after I will reconnect.

I'm not sure what all you need to know in order to help me with this, but what do you think I should do to repair this? These disconnects are getting really annoying.

2. ViprXX

ViprXX

what type of internet connection do you have? (dial-up or broadband). if broadband are you connected to the modem via an ethernet cable or wireless?

3. Astaeria

Astaeria Thread Starter

I have broadband internet and I am connected to it with an ethernet cable.

4. ViprXX

ViprXX

what exactly does it do when you get disconnected? page doesn't load, or "network cable unplugged", etc...?

5. Astaeria

Astaeria Thread Starter

Basically, when I get disconnected, it disconnects me from a game server. Or it will disconnect me from instant messenger, and pages start loading really slow.

6. ViprXX

ViprXX

hmm... so you don't get the "network cable unplugged error". It could be something to do with your firewall but doesn't make sense since it lets you on for a little bit. Or it could be the game server itself. Have you looked through the support part of whatever game server your connecting to? Also do you have a router?

7. Astaeria

Astaeria Thread Starter

I completely took off my McAfee firewall uninstalled it and the sort because tech support for the game that I play says that it conflicts. I have Windows Firewall turned completely off. I have a Linksys WRT55AG router, and they say there is a firewall on it. I don't know how to access it though.

I only get the DNS Configuration thing when I try to diagnose and repair my connection after it disconnects me from the game server.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

This sounds like an issue with your ISP. Please do this.

Register at DSLReports and run their line quality tests. Post a link to the results here.

9. Astaeria

Astaeria Thread Starter

I came up with this:

http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2243875

Although it says my IP is not pingable still. I have the firewall on my Linksys router turned off, and Windows Firewall is disabled. I'm not sure what the deal is.

I have a lot more sent packets than received, although on another laptop on our network the internet is getting more received packets than sent. We stay connected for about 20 or 30 minutes at a time while I am not logged onto the game, but the minute I open it up and log on, we tend to start lagging about 5 minutes after, and then eventually we get disconnected from the net.

10. Astaeria

Astaeria Thread Starter

Cannot communicate with Primary DNS Server(68.94.156.1)

Network diagnostics pinged the remote host but did not receive a response.

I was given this message after I tried to diagnose and repair my connection when it disconnected.

Something tells me this is not a problem with my internet service provider. I actually contacted them this week and they came in and replaced our router and did some tweaking, and also ran tests on their equipment and assured me that there is nothing wrong on their end.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/587418

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice