1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Domain not accessible except with Administrator privileges

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by CarolinaBill, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarolinaBill

CarolinaBill Thread Starter

I don't know in which forum this belongs: Win XP, or Linux, or Networks, but I will start here.

I am an assistant administrator in a retirement community, of a network of five Win XP computers that are available for use by residents who are first registered with a userID and a password. The server for the network has a Linux OS with a SAMBA interface to the Windows machines. Among other actions, this server also provides IMAP e-mail service for the computers in its domain. The server is managed by an administrator who is a paid consultant. Recently, a new Linux system was installed at the same time as the resident computers were changed from Win 2000 to Win XP. This has brought problems that the network administrator has not been able to resolve. The problem begins with a Linux program that assigns userIDs and passwords to the server and to SAMBA which then passes these on to a single administrative Win XP computer. Our first step there is to relocate the My Documents folder for the new user from the C: drive to a server drive (which happens to be named H:) and this drive is remapped for access by all of the domain computers. This common drive is than accessible to all five computers, whereas the C: drive folder is accessible only on that specific computer. While a nuisance, this is alright, and we have always been able to do this. With the change in computers from Win 2000 to Win XP (and perhaps because of the addition of SAMBA), the network permissions, etc. that are moved to the H:\My Documents folder are only accessible by the new user if he/she is given Administrator privileges. We would prefer not to do this. If privileges are set as Power User, a user can logon to a machine using the permissions that are present in the specific computer accessed, but cannot reach the domain network for e-mail or other services. The user can explore to a H:\My Document folder, where documents, pictures, etc. can be stored, but it does not have the necessary permissions there for network access. The My Documents folder that opens when the Power User logs on is in the C:\Documents and Settings folder, and efforts to move that to H:\My Documents are refused with the message that this move is not authorized. The user can carry out any operations on that specific computer, including setting up a specific e-mail account, but it cannot access any of the domain network accounts. If the user logs on with Administrative privileges, and this same move of the My Documents home location is attempted when the user first logs on, then all of the user permissions are transferred without difficulty and free access to the domain is possible.

We don't know if this situation is purely because of the changes in the server, or due to changing from Win 2000 to Win XP, or a combination of both. Our network administrator has not been able to help at all, partly because of time commitments with other consulting duties, and partly I am sure because he just has no idea of what the problem is. Our question is whether there is some specific treatment of network privileges that is a part of Win XP that can be addressed to allow Power Users to access the H: drive of our domain that is the conduit for network intercommunications. Or is there some other solution?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644918

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice