1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Domain or workgroup

Discussion in 'Networking' started by eurodat, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eurodat

eurodat Thread Starter

Any advice on the following would be appreciated.

I have a small LAN at home, set up as a workgroup. It consists of 4 PC's as follows -

2 - XP Pro PC's
    1 - XP Home PC
    1 - Windows 2000 Pro laptop

I may want to add another 2 PC's at some stage.

1 of the XP Pro PC's shares its dial up internet with the workgroup via ICS through an 8 port mini switch.

All seems to work OK but sometimes the PC's seem to take an age to show the rest of the PC's in the workgroup. Also at times the whole network seems to hang for up to 20 seconds.

I was thinking of changing the OS of the XP Home PC to Windows 2000 Server and creating a domain instead of a workgroup.

1. What are the merits of doing this, and is it really worth doing?

- I am assuming DNS and WINS set up may help cure my network hanging but believe this is only possible if i create a domain?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think you'll be sorry you got into fooling around with a server, unless you have a specific need for it. Have you considered installing NETBEUI protocol on all the machines? This frequently solves workgroup browsing issues. For XP, here's the Microsoft way: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301041

3. eurodat

eurodat Thread Starter

Already installed it John.

However, i have noticed that if i try to view workgroup computers on the PC that shares its internet connection via ICS that it takes a lot longer if the PC is on line.

Would making one of the PC's the master browser help when i have no domain?

I noticed an error in the event log too - Ipnathlp which says

'The DNS proxy agent was unable to read the local list of name-resolution servers from the registry. The data is the error code.'

any connections?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165038

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice