1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Domain Redirecting Sporadically

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by ashyblue, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ashyblue

ashyblue Thread Starter

My domain name was tampered with and now redirects to CNN at irregular times. The Url will go to my site for a day and then to CNN the following day (as a rough description of what is occuring). I have no idea how this was achieved and my host seems to be limited in experience and can't figure out the problem either.

The nameservers are setup correctly. I did find that the url was being directed to an entirely different server although this issue has been resolved. How this happened noone knows. Any ideas? :confused:

2. brez

brez

saw similar situation last year.

This problem was resolved by doing the following.....

Go to where you registered the domain.
    Transfer the domain back and park it using their dns.
    After 24 hrs. change it back again.
    Hey Presto! Problem Solved.:)

3. ashyblue

ashyblue Thread Starter

Thanks Brez,

That remedy has been tried already and didn't work. There is an update though! The site forum was removed and other add-ons and the problem doesn't appear to be happening. I attempted to reinstall a new forum and didn't get through the installation and immediately the site was redirected to CNN. (The CNN thing is someone's idea of a practical joke:cool: )

So possibly my cpanel has a redirection placed on the forum or add-on scripts in general?

Do you know what caused the issue you saw Brez? Where there anything nefarious happening?

4. MMJ

MMJ Guest

Post your site's url.

5. brez

brez

If that did not solve the problem, and by what you say there seems to be a corruption problem.
    Are you using a site builder or a cms? either of those systems could be corrupt.

Look into installing a new and updated site builder/cms system, one that isnt corrupt. and try again.

If all else fails the fault may lie within your hosting account!
    YES! within your hosting account, i already came across 3 hosting companies that are obviously run by kids with joker stamped across their forehead.

6. ashyblue

ashyblue Thread Starter

I am just now updating to CMS as my old HTML site was structured with frames and doesn't index on google at all. The old site had a CMS forum and the problem occured.

Now the site is e107, like the old forum. While trying to add a new forum or tinkering with the code it sometimes redirects to CNN. I now can rectify the problem by reversing my last edit. So it definitely no longer redirects and at least I'm in control of it redirecting (y) .

The site blog was created with Word Press and works fine.

An unsatisfied associate stole my domain name and got access to cpanel a while back. I threatened with legal action and when it was returned this issue started occuring. I suspect possible code tampering.

The host I believe is a tad inexperience but he offered me the space for free and is running his company more for activism and free speech purposes than tech ability - so I'm not going to complain.

Anyway here is the new site which is two days old and still not on linked to it's proper domain name yet. Be kind please :p. I could possibly use another CMS for the forum but would prefer not to *if* possible. Otherwise I may need to start again like you're saying.
    The other CMS sites I tried used forums which had security issues or restricted management options. This site has the forum I'm satisfied with.

My site

I don't want the name of the site posted here incase it's indexed by google. Thank You

PS. Is it possible to search all the files in my cpanel/filemanager to see if there is a file with a CNN redirection in it?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!