1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Domain to Workgroup

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Hughv, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hughv

Hughv Thread Starter

A friend has a small printing business with 6 PCs and two Macs.
    The server is a Dell Poweredge 2650 that's near death, and one tech refuses to work on it any more-it's at least 12 years old and apparently has at least one bad drive. The only thing on the server is files.
    He wants to avoid the expense of replacing the server (Times are a little tight).
    He's moving the business in a few weeks to a smaller place.
    What's the disadvantage of switching to a Workgroup (All the PCs are XP Pr o with one Win7 Pro).
    Can he use an NAS device to serve files and get satisfactory speed?
    This is outside my expertise, so any thoughts are welcome.

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

It would help to know what type of files this server is presenting.

If there are no other issues with the server other than a bad drive, why not just replace the drive?

Switching to a workgroup removes the ability to centrally manage various things on the network such as centralized authentication, uniform policies, centralized security, etc, etc.

3. Hughv

Hughv Thread Starter

All the files are printable items like pdfs. I don't have a comprehensive list.
    The problems with the server seem to extend beyond the bad drive but I don't have more details. Several techs have said it needs to go.
    My NAS device seems to have all the access restrictions/user groups/share permissions necessary, but I'm not very familiar with this.

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Using a NAS device with only local user authentication would create a security domain specifically around the NAS device. None of the user credentials would extend past the NAS. In a small environment that usually doesn't present a problem.

As far as performance of NAS devices, typically, they are pretty good. It really depends on the type of loading and the type of files we are talking about. But based on the information you've presented, I don't see any issues.

5. Hughv

Hughv Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll check on the file types tomorrow.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/985276

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice