1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Domex SCSI-card and Seagate Barracuda

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sunnyboy, Jul 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunnyboy

sunnyboy Thread Starter

I recently purchased a 4 bay external SCSI case (Ci4000 from CiDesign) loaded with 2 Seagate Barracuda SCSI harddisk (ST3120022A, Wide Ultra SCSI-2, LVD, 68 pin) and attached it to my Domex DMX-3096S SCSI adapter (50 pin, fast/ultra narrow SCSI with BIOS chip) using a HD50 to HD68 external cable (approx. 3 feet long). Finally, I attached a multimode SE/LVD active terminator on cable's open end.

I 've installed manufacturer's (Advansys :confused: ) driver prior to installing the adapter, as recommended. My system, however, never detected any new SCSI harddisk (it does, however, detected the SCSI adapter as Advansys win20 fast/ultra narrow SCSI adapter). I've tried resetting the SCSI harddisk ID's, but nothing happened. I attached my old Nikon LS-1000 SCSI film scanner and the adapter works fine.

My questions are:

1. Is my SCSI adapter isn't compatible with those Barracuda SCSI harddisks?
    2. Although the adapter is recommended for CD/MO/ZIP disks, the product page at Domex site (http://www.domex.com.tw/product/scsi.htm) does not mention anything about attaching an harddisk to the adapter, though. Is it possible that the adapter intentionally wasn't designed for SCSI HDs?
    3. The manual says something about flashing the adapter's BIOS. I've tried the included BIOS software program, but it says 'no Advansys host adapter detected'. Could it because I use Domex instead of Advansys?

(My system: Windows XP Professional, Athlon 2600+ XP on K7S5A pro MoBo, 1GB RAM, Asus GeForce 4 MX, Soundblaster live!DE, a Matrox XtremePro RTX100PRO video-editing card, and 4 IDE harddisks from Seagate and Maxtor).

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated (hope that sound desperate enough :eek: ).

2. sunnyboy

sunnyboy Thread Starter

OK, I'll downgrade my question down to this: Is there any SCSI adapter that intentionally WASN'T designed for harddisks?

3. K7M

K7M

I had a similar problem with my scanner. changed the cable and the adapter and it works fine. I have one cable that is not compatible with my flatbed but works with other devices. If you have another cable and/or adapter try another one. Just a suggestion.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/248989

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice