1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Donating SSD to another PC & clean install

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Tafflad, Aug 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tafflad

Tafflad Thread Starter

I have a Dell PC that is running very slowly on W10
    After all usual stuff, clearing junk, defrag etc., still not good enough - as its currently on an old HDD, going to install an SSD for the OS.
    I cant install any more RAM

Been advised to do a clean install rather than clone across an OS that might have issues.

This SSD will come from another W10 PC (one I'm using today) I will install a new larger SSD in this main PC (using Clone SSD software) so that will be easy enough.

I have 2 questions ....
    wipe of donated SSD ?
    Do I need to wipe or change something on this SSD before I install it in the Dell - is there a boot log or something I need to delete to avoid it trying to boot off this 'wrong OS', or will using install media override that.

license Q
    The Dell is currently all working on-line, (just very slow) and therefore full valid W10 license ... but I have no license code (was upgrade W200 > W7 >W10)

I had to delay upgrade for some months as I could not find admin account password .......... I have now found this, so want to 'protect' myself, against being locked out again after upgrade.

How can I get to view the account & license details, I have full access from admin account.

Just don't want to get the 2 OS versions mixed up and end up being locked out of PC.

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

1. Yes...as the 2nd PC hardware is different from current PC, so always do a clean install in this situation.

2. With 2nd PC and OS a new license will be required. So you'll need to buy what ever version of windows you want to install on 2nd PC.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Once Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro has been installed and activated in a computer, you can reinstall it and it will self-activate.
    Even if you replace its HDD or SSD.

---------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214461

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice