DON'T buy Bali Software!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sdenridder

Hi,
I had windows xp pro without service pack 2 installed on my computer and decided I would upgrade it with a copy of Windows xp Pro with service pack 2 I picked up from Bali. I began installing it and surprise surprise half way through, setup encounters a fatal error and restarts.The computer starts up again, setup restarts and encounters the same eror again and restarts It does this a couple more times before i realise it's not gonna fix itself. so when it restarts i hold F8 and go to OS choices menu and select cancel windows setup. It restarts......nope it starts setup again and has the same problem. So i go to microsoft.com for help which tells me to follow such and such steps to resolve the problem (which I try) and if this dosn't work contact microsoft to be issued with a new disc, ah hang on, my copy is from Bali I dont think i'll be asking for a replacement. So i start panicking because I want the 'my documents' folder which has 1000+ music files, plus every photo i've taken of my son over the last 9 months, plus all of my uni files, and creative writing, which I didnt back up (I know I know, i've learnt my lesson) So I reinstall Home edition (can't reinstall pro cause It came with the PC which I brought second hand and the bugger never gave me the disc.), but I put two seperate operating systems on the same drive renaming the new windows folder windows2, and when I started XP home, ofcourse I cant access my documents from before So I figure I'm going to have to buy an authentic version of xpPro to complete the installation so i can get my files, only problem is wont have the money for a few week and i want the files now!. So what i'm asking is
1. can I exit xp pro setup any other way ie. through a command prompt?
or
2. Can i access my documents from xp pro through xp home?
or
3. Can i copy my documents from xp pro to a disc or something using a command prompt?
or
4. Any other way I can solve the problem
If you help me I'll promise I'll always back my files up and i'll never buy cheap and dodgy products again.

See if this helps with taking ownership of the files to save them to removable media. If not, you can take the drive out and temporarily attach to the secondary channel ( the one with the cd drive ) in another pc to salvage your files.

p.s . . the beaches in Bali are nice, but I would not have thought about buying software there. . .

sdenridder

umm ok how do I get to the files to save them onto removable media, i can only use command prompts because i am stuck in setup. and how do i attach my drive to another computer??? and once ive done that how do i acces the files on that drive?
whoa did i say intermediate because I must be a beginner cause I have no i dea how to do what you just told me.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online