dont have a floppy, how do i reformat?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Soshinoya

everything i have searched says i need to make a startup disk in order to reformat. ive reformatted before but have completely forgotten how i did it. i dont have a floppy drive at all. all i have is a cd read/write drive.

i am too tired of all the problems with my computer and would rather just reformat than pay sum1 to fix it.

how do i do this. i tried using hte 98se disc to reformat. but itn ever gave me the option and just reinstalled it which kept everything i had.

Soshinoya said:
everything i have searched says i need to make a startup disk in order to reformat. ive reformatted before but have completely forgotten how i did it. i dont have a floppy drive at all. all i have is a cd read/write drive.

i am too tired of all the problems with my computer and would rather just reformat than pay sum1 to fix it.

how do i do this. i tried using hte 98se disc to reformat. but itn ever gave me the option and just reinstalled it which kept everything i had.

goto MyComputer

single click on the drive you want to format.

right click on the drive you want to format, which is highlighted.

click on FORMAT.

Soshinoya

does not work. says sindows cannot reformat because the drive contains files being used by windows...

What kind of problems are you having? If you think it is malware related, then go to the security section here and post. They will have you post a hijackthis log and will walk you through it. They are very good and would probably be easier and better than reloading windows.
Otherwise, You can't format the system drive inside of windows.Without a floppy drive, you will need a bootable cd with format tools. You should be able to with your cd, but I don't remember the exact procedure. I just thought it would give you that option or an option to take you to a command prompt where you could just type format C:\

Soshinoya

yeah i dont remember how i did it before. and im 85% sure its just software being screwed up. i want to drop windows 98 and go to xp as well as clearign off any and everything on my harddrive that may casue a problem again. im looking into tomorrow how much it would cost ot have this done professionally. hopefully this will mean that it will work 100% from the start. not have minor problems starting off but letting htem go and getting worse causing more problems. im glad i built my own computer, im a hardware person. but software goes right over my head lol

If you are going to get a full version of XP, it will be very easy to do. At least in my opinion, it's a lot easier than 98 or ME. I bought my copy (it's a Dell OEM but I can't tell the differece other than a couple of extra programs) off line and paid less than half of what Microsoft wanted. I will give you the link if you are interested.

Soshinoya

im def interested. i can get full oem from walmart online for 120 lol so yeah. a link wouldbe greatly appreciated.

He's right, that will work

Click start>shutdown> then choose restart in DOS
At the command promt, you will type Format C:\ or just format C:
Make sure your cd is bootable though and not an upgrade or something before you do this

Soshinoya

thanks guys. dos reformat worked gr8 and im already back up and running.

good forum =)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online