1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dont have admin rights?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bryan123, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bryan123

bryan123 Thread Starter

i was trying to update my computer and also fix a few things that spybot found and it said it cant fix anything because it doesnt have adminstrator rights. theres only one account on this computer and its an admin account and it has a password. by the way im using a netbook. i cant even use microsoft update website to because of this. whats wrong? i didnt change anything in the user account/control panel

2. TheChocolate

TheChocolate

Try right click Spybot SD and selecting 'Run as administrator'

Vista / Win7 hide the main administrator account by default and create an account with limited privileges.

3. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Windows XP does not have this restriction, unless you create your account as a standard user, rather than an administrator.

Vista and Win7, while it sets your user up as an administrator, does not specifically give you admin rights unless you ask for them.

4. TheChocolate

TheChocolate

Thanks, Was unsure about XP :)

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    The Admin account in Vista and Windows 7 do NOT have full administrative rights, only "The Machine" Administrator account does. But when one does things by "Run as Administrator" then they do.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914508

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice