1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

don't have copy of windows 98 cd to change components

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by psycopitts, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. psycopitts

psycopitts Thread Starter

I bought a compaq presario computer from someone and they did not give me the 98 cd that went with it. I have been trying to change some of the components in add and remove programs. It prompts for the 98 cd. I cannot change anything without it. Can I get a copy of my 98cd? What can I do?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Technically you are running the PC with a non-legal version of Windows if the 98 CD was not supplied, however are you sure that there actually was one originally?

Many Compaq and similar systems were supplied with all the Windows CAB files installed to the hard drive, and only a "recovery" CD was provided.

The Windows 98 CAB files were either on the C: drive or a separate partition.
    Use Search to see what CAB files are installed, you may have the full file version of the 98 CD already on the hard drive in the form of many CAB (Windows Cabinet) files.

Did you get the CD key numbers / Certificate of Authority? They should be on a sticker on the case of the PC somewhere.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Please edit the numbers out of that post, as others could use them for pirate copies.

Never post real serial numbers or email addresses!

But that looks legit, have you got the CAB files on the hard drive?

4. psycopitts

I am not sure how to search for them?

5. psycopitts

I found 101 .cab files

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Use Windows Search
    Start - Search

Look for *.CAB files

7. psycopitts

Sorry about the 101 answer.
    The cab files I found were
    Runhelp C:/WINDOWS
    Mini C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/PRECOPY
    Base 5 C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/PRECOPY
    Base 6 C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/PRECOPY
    Catalog 3 C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/PRECOPY
    Base 4 C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/PRECOPY
    Catalog 3 C:/WINDOWS/CATROOT
    viebio5.6.0.0 C:/WINDOWS/TEMP

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

When it asks you for the 98 CD, what happens if you point it (browse) to the
    C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/CATROOT directory?

(Or the C:/WINDOWS/PRECOPY directory, but the above is the most likely)

9. psycopitts

the file icsclset.exe on Windows 98 Second Edition CD-ROM cannot be found.
    Then icsmgr.exe, icssetup.exe, icsrm.txt

10. Deke40

Deke40

These two options are rather long but work. Be sure and look at the url close to the bottom of the first solution for the Cab Viewer. The second one is a way to search and extract a file out of a cab all in one operation with a bat file.

1. When I need something from a .cab
    I go to Start/Find/Files and Folders/ in the "Name box" type *.cab--in the Containing
    text type notepad.exe--Look in [C:]. Just substitute what ever your are looking for
    in the the "Containing text box".

You really don't need to know the cab number to extract a file but it lets me know if what I want is there.

If you are on Windows 98...simply goto Start/Run/type in "sfc" minus the " " and click OK, that'll take you to the System File Checker. Put the dot in Extract one file from installation disk, then put the name of the file you want to extract in the long white box and click the START button right below it. That will take you to a page that wants to know where the cab files are.
    If the cabs are on the computer, they are likely in C:\windows\options\cabs
    and if you only have the CD, then it's in D:\Win98 or whatever your CD rom drive letter is.
    the next box wants to know where you want to extract the file to, like C:\windows\system

You can also use the Cabview from the Windows Power Toys if you have it installed are download it from http://members.lycos.co.uk/Gording/cabview.html and then just store it to where you want it on your hard drive.
    ==========================================================

Here's a little batch file to locate & extract any cab file you need.

Open up a new Notepad document and copy and paste these commands into it, just RIGHT click anywhere on the desktop and select NEW, then TEXT ...paste the following into it, , it assumes your CAB folders path is 'C:\windows\options\cabs' ..... change that pathe as needed on line 7, depending on your windows version,

@echo off
    md c:\windows\desktop\CabXtrac
    if "%1"=="" goto error
    CLS
    c:
    cd c:\windows\desktop\CabXtrac
    for %%i in (C:\windows\options\cabs\*.CAB) do extract %%i %1
    ECHO.
    IF EXIST %1 ECHO %1 successfully extracted.
    IF NOT EXIST %1 ECHO %1 not found
    goto end
    :error
    echo.
    echo Syntax: CabX file-to-extract
    echo Example: CabX Control.exe
    echo.
    :end

Now --- Save the file as Cab77.bat in your C:\Windows directory. Make sure you type in the .bat extension, (you can name it anything it doesn't have to be cab77)

Now click on Start / Run / C:\windows

Create a shortcut to cab77.bat by right clicking it in the Windows folder and dragging it to your Desktop and choose "New Shortcut Here",

Right click the new desktop shortcut and select Properties, Click the Program tab.

On the line Cmd. line: you will see C:\Windows\cab77.bat

Go to the end of that command, skip a space using your space bar and type in a ? mark so it looks like this:

C:\Windows\cab77.bat ?
    Click Apply, then Ok,

Your desktop shortcut batch file will search, find & instantly extract any file you type in it from your CAB folders, you'll never have to use System File Checker, if it cannot find it, it's not there,

You can rename your shortcut to whatever you like just don't change the .bat extension,

Any files you extract using this will go to the desktop folder called CabXtrac on your desktop. (CabXtrac can be named anything you like)

Once your in that folder you can copy those extracted files to where ever they are needed,

The pathe in this batch file is C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS,

NOTE:
    FOR OTHER COMPUTERS:
    Substitute the path to your CAB files in this line for %%i in (C:\windows\options\cabs\*.CAB) do extract %%i %1

your path may be C:\windows\install\cabs, or it may be C:\win98\cabs, search for your cab folder and check it's path to determine that,

If you want to know the exact CAB file that the extraction occurred in, extract the file a 'second' time that will force the search to stop at the cab's location and ask if you want to 'overwrite' ... that's the cab,

So you spend a little time setting it up but after that it's a laser light show ....

This one sounds complicated but I am not that pc sayvy and I set it up fairly easy.

11. sammysosa

sammysosa

You can download the Win95 PowerToys directly from M$, through this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/wutoys/w95pwrtoysset/

FWIW, the first three files you've listed (icsclset.exe, icsmgr.exe, icssetup.exe) are all located inside the Win98_45.cab file; use the FIND feature (START > FIND > FILES OR FOLDERS) to search your system for the "WIN98_45.CAB" file (no quotes). If that .CAB file exists on your harddrive, you can EXTRACT those files using the SFC.EXE tool. Put them in the Windows\System folder if you do have that Win98_45.cab file stored somewhere on your harddrive.

The OTHER file you've mentioned (icsrm.txt) does NOT exist in the .CAB files, nor anywhere on the Win98SE CD-ROM, so I can only guess that it is created by Windows itself under certain circumstances, such as when Internet Connection Sharing is removed from a system.

Good luck; let us know if you have any questions.

12. Deke40

Deke40

As I stated above the bat file is easy to use once you have it set up.

Here is an image of the three files you were hunting and a zip file is attached with them in it.

I might have posted a longer explanation of how to do what you wanted but I didn't know your level of expertise.

Attached Files:

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430938

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice