1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dont know how to open ports!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ShenaniganS, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ShenaniganS

ShenaniganS Thread Starter

I am having trouble opening ports on my computer. Maybe its because i dont know how to do it. Im trying to open a program called steam on my my two computers that are on a network. I can connect to the steam network ok but on the other comp it gives me a " Error: Cannot connect to Steam server" I looked at their support site and suggested that i open ports

UDP 1200
    UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive
    TCP 27030 to 27039 inclusive

but i dont know where to find them. I am runnining windows XP and windows Home Edition on my other comp. I have DSL running and have a speedstream 5100 and I have a network card to run my network. Its a D-Link DFE-530TX+ PCI Adapter. Any ideas please reply. Thanx in advace.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Do you have the XP firewall turned on.

3. ShenaniganS

Do you mean the firewalls in the network connections? Because i took of those firewalls, other than that i dont know about any other firewalls. If i do have it on where can i find it and how can i turn it off?

4. Squashman

If the XP firewalls are not turned on then all your ports are available. Can you ping the IP addresses of each machine from each machine.

start > run > cmd

ping 192.X.X.X (use the IP addresses of your machines here)

5. ShenaniganS

I kind of know what you mean but i really dont know how you do suggested LwdSquashman. I have heard about it but donk how to run/do it. Also i dont know how to get the pings of the comps. So can you please bare with me and help me throught with it please.

6. Squashman

start > run > cmd > ipconfig

This will show you the IP address of the computer.

7. coulterp

coulterp

Is the "speedstream 5100 " you refer to a router or a modem?
    If the former you will be needing to open the ports on it to allow the connection thru to the PC.

You will also need to be looking at the XP firewall (if it is switched on) as already advised.

8. ShenaniganS

Well the speedstream that im refering to is the modem. I have looked all over for help to open the ports but i keep finding things about a router but i dont have one i have a adapter. I dont know anything about ports. I dont know how to open them so i was hoping to get a step by step.Will it also help that im trying to open a program called steam to play counter strike?. I have turned off the firewalls on the network and the ones on my personal pc since i dont like the firewalls. Could it be that the other comp may have firewalls and let it not fully connect the way that my comp is connecting?

9. Squashman

I am confused....are you trying to play CounterStrike with your two computers at your home or is the other computer somewhere else on the internet. Is the XP computer at your location and the ME computer somewhere else?

If not, how is each computer physically connected to your network. Is there two nics in your XP computer and the ME computer is hooked up to that one. Does your network look like this.

DSL Modem > XP computer with two nics > Me computer connected to second nic of XP computer.

We still need to see if you can ping the other computers. All basic network troubleshooting starts with being able to ping the other computer.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173355

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice