Don't know if heat is to be expected or if there's a problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CourtChell

Hi! Not sure if I'm in the right section for this, but I could really use some advice. I recently got a Lenovo Ideapad Slim 7 and I really like it, except for the warmth. It hasn't gotten hot, just warm, but I've never had a computer be warm when I only have 2 google tabs open, or one YouTube video, etc. Really basic stuff and both the keys and bottom of laptop is warm. I've never had a laptop this thin, so maybe this is normal, but I wanted to make sure because it's worrying me. The fan has come on once every 10 minutes or so for only like 5 seconds, but with bigger laptops it wouldn't come on ever, unless I had like 6 or more ad-heavy tabs open. I got a great deal on this laptop on Black Friday and did a lot of research before buying it and was so excited for it, so I'd hate to return it and start back at square one in picking out another one, and then probably having to spend more money on a laptop that's lesser in all other ways (since sales aren't on right now)... but if this isn't normal and is something to worry about, I will. I don't wanna be stuck with a laptop that shouldn't be doing this after the return window closes. and maybe this isn't an Ideapad Slim 7 problem, but just this particular one, and I should ask for a replacement? Would really appreciate some help from people who know more than me about these things, and/or others with this same computer. Thanks!

Not sure what all info is important but:
Lenovo Ideapad Slim 7
Intel Core i5
15"
512 GB SSD

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hello and welcome to TSG!!

A laptop that slim, with an i5 CPU, will likely become warm. Most laptops do, but the smaller ones have less heat dissipation ability. Just be sure not to block the air exit path when using it. Unless it is really hot, there should be no danger.

There may be a way to determine your temps built in, otherwise there are third-party software programs that will normally be able to monitor the temps, if you are concerned.

CourtChell

Hello and welcome to TSG!!

A laptop that slim, with an i5 CPU, will likely become warm. Most laptops do, but the smaller ones have less heat dissipation ability. Just be sure not to block the air exit path when using it. Unless it is really hot, there should be no danger.

There may be a way to determine your temps built in, otherwise there are third-party software programs that will normally be able to monitor the temps, if you are concerned.
Thanks for responding! Do you have any thoughts on how long laptops like this can last? I can't imagine slim laptops that get warm so easily can last a long time.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
There's a lot of engineering that goes into today's technology. They are designed with the heat in mind. As Ramon suggests, a laptop cooling pad may help, especially in you actually use it on your lap! ;-) Components are designed to survive more heat than will be comfortable to humans. That said, however, cooler environments are definitely preferable.

Also, if you got it used, I suggest maybe blowing out the fan with some compressed air if you can. Or if youve been using it for a while.

Probably should do it every so often.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online