Don't know what is wrong..need help bad

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

melinda83

When I start my computer up, after it boots up the screen just goes black and I can not do anything at all. It worked fine until my brother in law tried to install some drivers for an internet modem and now that is all it does and we cannot load any kind of windows at all on it.:mad:

do you have an OS cd that came with computer or a recovery disk? If so insert cd into drive before boot and choose boot from cd, if it aks to repare do that.

melinda83

we done that but it still would not do a thing we have tried an me cd an xp cd a me start up disk and the screen still stays black.

There must be a problem with that monitor--if you are using a startup disc or CD there is no way that any drivers that were installed would be causing a problem when you start windows from a startup CD. Try a different monitor. Can you boot into SAFE Mode or into the BIOS?

Sounds like a coinsidence. I really don't think a modem driver would make widnows unbootable.

I doubt it was really his fault. May be a hardware issue.

Regardless, you can always try safemode

melinda83

i can only get to the setup screen after it boots after that it does nothin it won't boot from cd or floppy

melinda83

when i boot up i push delete and it goes into setup but that is all i can get to when it is done booting up at the beginning it goes black no operating system loads.

melinda83 said:
when i boot up i push delete and it goes into setup but that is all i can get to when it is done booting up at the beginning it goes black no operating system loads.
Have you tried booting into safe mode? What are you running? XP? Try hitting the F8 key while its booting--can you get into safe mode?

melinda83

it won't give any option at all to even go safe mode and when my mom held down f8 it still done nothing

BTW--the internet modem is not still hooked up, is it? If so, disconnect that or take it out of the computer (don't know what kind of modem it is).

Here is what do to. It sounds like your Windows is corrupted. You still have not told us what OS you are using--I'm assuming its XP because you said you tried and XP-CD. I suspect what happened is that your computer did not automatically boot from the XP-CD. So what you need to do is go into the BIOS (the setup you were talking about) and look for something that talks about the Boot order. You want to change it so that the CD-ROM is the first boot device. Then, save and exit your BIOS--the computer will boot from the CD-ROM

At the welcome screen, choose enter.
Once at the license agreement, press F8.
At the next screen, choose to repair the selected Windows XP installation by pressing R.

The files will begin to install and then your PC will reboot. During the reboot you will be presented with option of booting from the CD again by pressing any key. Don't press anything. Allow it to finish the install without booting from the CD again.

After you get back into Windows again and its OK, reboot and change the boot order back to the hard drive as the primary boot device.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online