1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Don't Know What To Do

Discussion in 'DOS/Other' started by DRAGAHN, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DRAGAHN

DRAGAHN Thread Starter

MY WIFE HAS ABANDONED HER G3 w/OS 9 version 9.0.4 AFTER DELETING SOME ITEMS/PROGRAMS AND ATTEMPTING TO RE-INSTALL HER OS, IT SHOWS AN ERROR AND CANNOT RE-INSTALL THE OS. ERROR BEING.

Problems were encountered accessing the
    file "QuickTimePlugin.class" on the disk
    "Jennifer's Hard drive". Please move the
    file to another folder and try again.

OK

WE DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. I HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OF iMAC's. WE CANNOT EJECT THE OS CD EITHER. PLEASE WHAT DO I DO? WOULD ALSO LIKE TO KNOW IF IT IS POSSIBLE TO UPGRADE TO OS X PANTHER?

I WANT TO USE HER G3 FOR DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY. BE A SHAME TO THROW IT OUT. SHE JUST GOT AN iBOOK.........WOW BUT NO INTEREST IN THE OLD iMAC. HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP

2. emoxley

emoxley

There should be a tiny hole, by the cd rom's drawer or slot. Use a paperclip to insert into the hole and push, with some pressure. The cd should come out. Or, you can reboot. As it is booting up, push the button, for ejecting the the cd, and it should come out.

Try moving the file it's talking about, and try again. If that doesn't work, just delete the Quicktime folder. It will install another new one when you install the OS. The QuickTime folder may be in the System Folder.
    When trying to re-install the OS, did you just put the cd in and double click the installer? If so, that may be the problem. You need to boot from the OS' cd. Put the cd in and restart. If it spits out the cd, push it back in quickly. Hold down the "C" key, while it restarts. That makes it boot from the cd. Then double click the installer, and follow directions. The best thing to do, is to initialize and install, but this will erase EVERYTHING on the HD and put it back to the way it was when you bought it.

You may be able to install OSX, but it will require a LOT of memory and a big HD. I, personally, don't like OSX. I like OS 9xxx. But that's just me. A lot of people love OSX.
    Good luck, and keep us posted on how it goes. :)

3. DRAGAHN

DRAGAHN Thread Starter

Ok Paper Clip Trick Worked. Still Cannot Re-install Os. Even When I Move/or Delete The Quicktime Folder. Would Like To Try To "initialize And Install" Would You Walk Me Through This Process Please. Again I Don't Know What To Do. Hard Drive Is 30 G Ram Is 256 Will This Support Os X?

4. emoxley

emoxley

If you booted from the OS cd, and it still didn't work, I don't really know what else to tell you.

Go to this page and click on the area that best fits your computer, and post your question there. They are all mac people, and can probably help you more than I can. If I had the computer here in front of me, I could probably, eventually figure it out. Someone there has probably had the same thing happen, and can tell you just what to do. Also some of the Apple support people, go to those forums, and help.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/

Good luck!

I really thought booting from the OS cd and doing the initialize and install, would take care of it. Oh well........... :(

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269845

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice