Don't know where else to put this...Sorry. Please help :(

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gabe12345

I was uninstalling some stuff for space and i got an error and had to force quit the uninstall thing and now
all of my icons are gone and i get an error message saying "C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop refers to a location that is unavailable."

I'm not sure what to do so i've been trying to figure out how to fix it and a few people have said to go into my users folder and delete the empy desktop folder if there is 2 of them but there isn't even a desktop folder in it...There's not a desktop folder in any of the user folders. Please help :(

What were you uninstalling and how?

Have you tried System Restore?

You should probably consider reinstalling Windows if critical parts of the system were damaged or deleted and System Restore can't fix it. Or restore a recent system backup (which you should have since all hard drives will fail if used).

gabe12345

I was only uninstalling a logitech webcam software...It messed up and The progress bar was right at 99% and was stuck...So i stopped it...all my icons except for my trash bin are now gone

Your stuff should be backed up. All hard drives will fail, sometimes with no warning. Then everything will be gone.

Have you tried System Restore?

The webcam probably installed a driver. Those can sometimes take a very long time to uninstall.

gabe12345

No...But I don't recall ever making a restore point....and....I never backed my stuff up either. I'm a very irresponsible computer user I guess...

Restore points are made automatically. Check the dates.

and would reinstalling windows 7 make me lose all my stuff?
That depends on what you have available. If you have a recovery partition on the hard drive, you may need to go back to the way it was when new.

Better start making backups. It really hurts to lose everything, believe me.

Free drive backup software (imaging, cloning, and archiving - backups can be created on a second hard drive, internal or external, or on DVD's, or BluRay disks. One BluRay disk will hold most peoples' entire system drive's backup at 25 GB's using compressed images):

Paragon Backup & Recovery (Recovery boot CD or USB key)
Macrium Reflect (Free)
O&O Disk Image Express or (mirror)
Easeus Todo Backup
Redo Backup & Recovery (Boot CD)
Clonezilla Live (A bootable CD of Debian with Clonezilla.)
Drive Image XML
PING (Partimage is not Ghost) (Boot CD with option Clam Antivirus)
Partition Saving
Clonezilla
Passmark OSFClone (Bootable, cloning only)

There are also many commercial products with more features.

============================================

Hey Elvandil,

Would a system restore point make a difference? Just a thought....
Let's hope. :D

Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.

Click the optiion to choose another date so you will see all of them. Pick one from before the problem.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online