Solved Don't know which is graphics card power port

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Dude117

So i got windows 7 on my hp compaq dc7900 small form factor convertible minitower so i could install the grapgics card.

Problem is i can't install the drivers from the disk probably becuase i need the 2x8 pin power cable i just don't know where to plug the other halfof the pin cable in inside the pc.

I know where it attaches to the graphic cards just not where to plug it in.

I dont know which type of 2x8 pin power cable to buy either.

Wierd thing is i had it installing at one point via hdmi cable directly from graphics card but i hadn't really eat anything but a few bites of a sticky bun that day cuz i was setting it up all day my pc. So i interrupted the restart proccess out of impatience.

I did a system restore and tried to replicate it after eating a meal but was unable to.

Any if someone could help through this process that would be awesome.

I have some really bad pictures of the inside of my pc sorry about the glare.

Attachments

Mini Tower eh? It's very likely that the power supply you have may not be adequate to power a video card that requires two 8 pin power connections. You can get some info from the manufacturer as to what the power supply requirements are for your model number card. If your supply is not up to par it doesn't matter much what cable you use unless you also add a supply with enough power output that is suggested by the cards manufacturer. If your supply is adequate you have to determine what spare outputs your power supply has, and if there are any extra they're probably hidden pretty good inside the case and may even be tied down with nylon strapping making it even harder to expose them. There are 6pin to two eight pin cable adapters but that's not a good idea. If the card wants two 8 pin inputs it's best they be from separate power supply connections. That said you may be looking at replacing the power supply just make sure it will fit the case and has the two 8 pin pci-e connectors. I have purchased video cards that came with molex (old style connectors) to six pin for the card and may even have two but it's been so long since I bought a video card I don't know what they include these days.

Dude117

My current graphics card I'm trying to install is amd radeon hd 5450 since its seems its too much for the power supply, what grapgics card would u recommend?

Oh by the way my pc has no graphics card which is why i was trying to install one. Thanks.

Edit:
Sory didnt read the last part about the part where u havent bought i grapgics card in awhile, my bad.

crjdriver

I assume you are attempting to install a real video card to run games. This presents multiple problems;
1 As mentioned, the pw supply. SFF type systems come with a pw supply that is just enough to pw the system as shipped. There is little or no extra for any type of upgrade
2 SFF type case. A real video card generates heat and you need a case that was actually designed to dissipate the heat energy.
3 SFF type systems use low pw motherboards that are not designed for any type of gaming.

Something like this nvidia card would be about all you could install. Do understand that it is NOT much of an upgrade from onboard/onchip video.
https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-720/specifications

In short, you are wasting your time/money attempting to install a video card in a SFF type system.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
i got windows 7 on my hp compaq dc7900 small form factor convertible minitower
The "small form factor" and "convertible minitower" are 2 different case sizes, so you have one or the other.

SFF.JPG CMT.JPG

The "small form factor" model comes with a 240W power supply.
The "convertible minitower" model comes with a 365W power supply.

What's the exact serial number(S/N) and product number(P/N) on your HP Compaq dc7900?
This is a very old model which originally came with Windows XP or Windows Vista 32-bit.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Dude117

I assume you are attempting to install a real video card to run games. This presents multiple problems;
1 As mentioned, the pw supply. SFF type systems come with a pw supply that is just enough to pw the system as shipped. There is little or no extra for any type of upgrade
2 SFF type case. A real video card generates heat and you need a case that was actually designed to dissipate the heat energy.
3 SFF type systems use low pw motherboards that are not designed for any type of gaming.

Something like this nvidia card would be about all you could install. Do understand that it is NOT much of an upgrade from onboard/onchip video.
https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-720/specifications

In short, you are wasting your time/money attempting to install a video card in a SFF type system.
Thx dude i just need something so that the cpu isn't doing all the work and it will run better. I plan on using it to run blender to make low poly game assets

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
2UA9409C4
That serial number was "not found", so you may have copied it incorrectly or your HP computer is over 10 years old and no longer in the database.
That image confirms your HP computer is a Small Form Factor model.

I'm very familiar with the GeForce GT 720 graphic card that was recommended to you because I have that same one in 2 of my Dell computers.
They have a larger Mini Tower case though, so there's plenty of room for it.
It uses very little power, but it has a large heat sink unit, so I don't know if it will fit in your SFF case.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online