1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Don't laugh

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tbrown00, Jan 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tbrown00

tbrown00 Thread Starter

Somebody has to know the answer to this one. I'm trying to install Windows 2000 and I have XP on the machine. I know I have to reformat and therein lies the madness. The question is how do you reformat Windows XP?

Thank you, T

2. DVOM

DVOM

If it's formatted NTFS, use delpart to get rid of the partition entirely. Then use PartitionMagic or similar to recreate the partition.

If the format is FAT32, just boot with a 98 boot disk and at the A: prompt type "format c:"

3. spiker_22

spiker_22

Don't be silly

Just run the setup prog from the CD when you get to where it shows the partitions and what's on them just delete the partition, create your new one and then format away!

4. Emtronics

Emtronics

No kidding, boot with a Win98 boot disk and format the drive. From the A/: format c:

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I seem to recall that the W98 FORMAT will have a problem with the partition if it's formatted NTFS. You can use FDISK to delete the NTFS partition and then recreate it and format it...

6. Emtronics

Emtronics

I believe you must use FDisk first, then the format command.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Uhh... is there an echo in here? That's what I just said! :rolleyes:

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy there tbrown00, I agree with spiker_22...

Just delete the partition from the setup, then recreate the partition, then format FAT32 or NTFS ( whatever you wish ), and you're on your way...

9. Emtronics

Emtronics

No echo johnwill. It's exactly what you posted. Just repeating it is all . You took it out of context I guess. Sorry.. Lighten up a bit.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!