1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Don't think I have enough room for a GPU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chewitt12, May 19, 2017 at 3:55 PM.

Advertisement
  1. Chewitt12

Chewitt12 Thread Starter

It's in the title, i'm looking to get a new GPU and by the looks of it there is no way I could get one in there it just doesn't line up properly. what can I do?

Operating System
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
    CPU
    AMD A8-7600 71 °C
    Kaveri 28nm Technology
    RAM
    16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. F2A68HM-HD2 (P0) 38 °C
    Graphics
    BenQ GL2450H ([email protected])
    1024MB ATI AMD Radeon R7 Graphics (Gigabyte) 21 °C
    Storage
    931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 SATA Disk Device (SATA) 37 °C
    Optical Drives
    TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224FB SATA CdRom Device
    Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

...If you're interested, btw it's prebuilt so I don't know the case, to me it's just a Vibox case, I know nothing more.

Attached Files:

2. Sponsor

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

The motherboard is ATX Micro
    Micro ATX Form Factor; 22.6cm x 17.4cm

and the only graphic cards that are going in there are the small form factor such as
    https://www.scan.co.uk/products/zot...hics-card-1280-core-1506mhz-gpu-1708mhz-boost

and EVEN then it depends on the case
    if you do not have a local computer shop who can advise then get the sizes of the card - cut a piece of card to the length and height and try it this is only a rough guide but is better than simply trying to measure.
    Remember also to check the width

Case cooling is important with the added heat of the card even if it has its own fan

A general overview can be seen here
    https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/?compatible_with=gigabyte-motherboard-gaf2a68hmhd2

and the ones listed miniITX will more than likely fit as that of course is smaller than microATX
    https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...0-8gb-mini-itx-oc-video-card-gv-n1070ixoc-8gd

MiniITX
    Mini-ITX Form Factor; 17.0cm x 17.0cm

as against micro atx above

22.6cm x 17.4cm

My best advice is to check most carefully before purchase

4. Chewitt12

Chewitt12 Thread Starter

Dang, Should I get a new motherboard then?

5. Macboatmaster

Sorry I do not understand your reply

6. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Looks like it'll take a full sized PCI-Express x16 video card just fine. Looks like a full size case/slot and it's a full x16 slot on the motherboard. What doesn't line up?

But do you have a power supply that can handle the card you want?

7. replay

replay

looks like it lines up just fine.....
    your apu is running abit hot tho'
    the video card that mac left a link........ needs a min' of 400w psu

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 19, 2017 at 7:24 PM
  8. Chewitt12

Chewitt12 Thread Starter

I was thinking if I were to get and ATX motherboard the PCIE placement would be different?

9. Chewitt12

Chewitt12 Thread Starter

What I wanted was a AMD RX 580 Strix but that came up too big, then I realised the placement of the PCIE slot and it didn't look like anything would fit in there. Also I have a 500W PSU :)

10. Chewitt12

Chewitt12 Thread Starter

Ok just to be sure the PCIE is the slot just underneath the circular thing, i'm not just stupid lol?

11. Macboatmaster

YES and the circular thing is the CMOS Battery

In my opinion and I have to say that it is only my opinion - a full size video card will be very tight
    HOWEVER my colleague Triple6 is very experienced and he thinks it will fit OK

So you will just have to accept there is a difference of opinion and make careful measurements before purchase I have offered you a way I have used often to check

Ref this
    It depends - there are cards on the link I sent that will fit easily

On an aside issue your image shows one of the slot covers on the rear panel of the case is not located in its retaining lug - just underneath the motherboard - the same locating slot as a PCI card would fit in = the third slot - not a problem and does not need your attention NOW but be careful when and if you remove and reinstall board for some reason

12. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

It's a standard sized x16 PCI-Express slot, so the slot is not an issue. The case looks to be a standard ATX design that takes full height cards, doesn't appear to be an issue there. I don't see anything in the front of the case but that's where I'd suggest measuring to make sure it fits; especially if there's a fan or drive outside of the picture we have.

The video card sits in the computer with the fan/heatsink down, the slot cover on the back of the case pops out. It will take up two and half slots according to the specs and covers at least the smaller PCI-Express x1 slot underneath it but that's normal and fine as long as you don't use these slots for something else.

The RX 580 requires a quality 500 watt or better power supply, make sure yours is at least that.

Also be aware that you A8-7600 isn't exactly a powerful CPU, you may not be able to get the full power of that card's performance.

13. OverTallman

OverTallman Jacky

Late to the party, but throwing my $0.02 here nevertheless.

This sounds similar to one of my recent PC upgrades. A few weeks ago I helped my cousin to upgrade his HP Pavilion hardware with an Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ and a better PSU, had to move to a new mATX case as no RX 580 can fit into its original SFF case.

Things went well until I grabbed the card. The only PCIe x16 slot is the nearest expansion slot to the I/O ports and RAM slots, and when I tried plugging the card into the motherboard, it didn't fit. The RX 580 has a backplate and upon close inspection I found that the RAM slot clips got in the way of the backplate. Solution? I used a hacksaw to cut off part of the stupid clips, it's a ghetto fix but hey, the card did fit, plus the RAM slots and clips are still working normally as of now.

Based on my experience I think it's actually the backplate that prevents you from fitting the card properly, as Asus RX 580 Strix also has a backplate. However this time it's not the RAM slot clips getting in the way as they're clear from the potentially occupied space, instead I'd point my finger to the audio jacks, i.e. the ports nearest to the PCIe slot. The audio jacks look too damn close to the space from what I can see.

Unlike RAM slot clips, audio jacks can't be removed easily... well you can if you have a soldering iron and you don't mind losing the jacks. Therefore your only viable choices are:
    1. Remove the backplate of your card
    2. Get another RX 580 without the backplate (AFAIK only reference cards don't come with backplates on RX 480, same could be applied to RX 580 I think)
    3. Get another motherboard (too much hassle IMO)
    4. Forget about RX 580 and get a lesser card, but if I were you I ain't gonna surrender like that

14. SixShooter14

SixShooter14 James

Whew, you might be right. I just looked at some pics of my recent RX480 build and while the back plate on my ASUS card isn't very thick, the OPs audio ports look super close to the card slot.

That'd be a tight squeeze for sure.

Op, buy a card from someone with a darn good return policy.

15. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

The pics I've seen of the Asus RX580 Strix show a completely bare top and the backplane seems to stop before the PCB, and I don't see the engineers placing the ports below the slot.

16. OverTallman

OverTallman Jacky

No the top side and rear portion aren't the problems, what I'm talking about is the front portion, where output ports are located.
    [​IMG]
    As you can see the backplate covers the length of PCB, and when OP tries to install the card, considering how close the audio ports are, the front portion of the backplate will probably hit the audio ports.

Take a ruler and line up with the PCIe slot, and see how close it is to the audio ports, then you'll get my idea.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1190218