1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Don't you just love telemarketers...

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by lora_3677, Sep 24, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. lora_3677

lora_3677 Thread Starter

http://www.msnbc.com/news/971221.asp?0bl=-0

This is an article I came across today on MSN... So, what do you think will be the outcome...

U.S. DISTRICT JUDGE Lee R. West said the main issue in the case was “whether the FTC had the authority to promulgate a national do-not-call registry. The court finds it did not.”
    In its decision, the court said existing laws give the FTC authority to curb abusive telemarketing practices, but that any national do-not-call list must be handled by the Federal Communications Commission.
    “This decision is clearly incorrect,” FTC Chairman Timothy Muris said in a written statement. “We will seek every recourse to give American consumers a choice to stop unwanted telemarketing calls.”
    Muris did not say whether the FTC would appeal the decision or turn over the list to the FCC. An FCC spokesman did not return several calls.

Court blocks Do Not Call Registry
    September 24, 2003 — Rep. John Dingell, D-Mich., in an interview with CNBC, said he believes the Oklahoma judge will be overruled by a higher court and that Congress would take further steps to reinstate the do not call list.

The measure would have enabled consumers to block most unsolicited sales calls by placing their home and mobile phone numbers on the no-call list. Telemarketers would have faced fines of up to $11,000 per call if they called any of the 50 million phone numbers collected by the FTC.
    House Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman Billy Tauzin, R-La., and Rep. John Dingell, D-Mich., said Wednesday they were confident the ruling would be overturned and believe Congress did give the FTC the necessary authority. “We will continue to monitor the situation and will take whatever legislative action is necessary to ensure consumers can stop intrusive calls from unwanted telemarketers,” they said in a joint statement. The House committee authorized the list.

Source: Federal Trade Commission

“I suspect the courthouse in Oklahoma would want to add itself to the ’do not call’ database in order to protect itself from the millions of consumers who feel deeply about the right to be left alone by telemarketers,” Rep. Ed Markey said.
    The Direct Marketing Association Inc., one of the plaintiffs, said it was happy with the ruling, even though it “acknowledges the wishes of millions of U.S. consumers who have expressed their preferences not to receive telephone-marketing solicitations - as evidenced by the millions of phone numbers registered on the FTC list.”

September 24, 2003 — Tim Searcy of American Teleservices Association defends the decision by an Oklahoma court to overturn the FTC’s “Do Not Call” list.

The suit was filed by DMA, U.S. Security, Chartered Benefit Services Inc., Global Contact Services Inc. and InfoCision Management Corp.
    The telemarketing industry estimates the do-not-call list could cut its business in half, costing it up to $50 billion in sales each year.
    More than a dozen states with do-not-call lists planned to add their lists to the national registry this summer, the FTC said.
    Telemarketers would have to check the list every three months to see who doesn’t want to be called. Those who call listed people could be fined up to $11,000 for each violation.

2. lora_3677

lora_3677 Thread Starter

sorry, didn't realize that angel had posted this in her thread... oops!!

3. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Nope, I posted it first in "Broken News". Sorry Angel.

4. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

Nope, I posted it first at 12:06 p.m. in my do not call thread...you posted at 1:28 p.m. in broken news! Sorry Got. :p :p :D

Take care! angelize live at 5 (Candy named me that!) :D

5. DJCrazyJimmy

DJCrazyJimmy

argh, I used to be a Telemarketer. I didn't like it worked there for one month then quit. You know how it goes ;)

I think in that whole time I had sold 10 MCI Long Distance Plans.

Good money if you are good at duping people into [email protected] like that ;)

~Jimmy

6. Mowergun

Mowergun Guest

Based on my own experience with telemarketing calls, and the struggle to get them stopped, I expect that when the do-not-call law/registry does go into effect people will be shocked when they find themselves deluged by telemarketing calls from Canadian telemarketers who are beyond the jurisdiction of U.S. law.

I recommend that you beat the rush and register with the Canadian Marketing Association's do no call registry .

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167136

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice