1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Doom 3 Demo won't start

Discussion in 'Games' started by ElKahone, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ElKahone

ElKahone Thread Starter

In anticipation of my upcoming (or so I thought) purchase of Doom 3, I downloaded the demo to give it a test run. Boy, am I glad I did! Here's my problem: I run the program and it goes through the loading screen with the Mars background. Then, the screen goes black. Almost 30 seconds later, a pointer appears in the upper left, and the music starts. About 30 seconds after that, the Doom 3 logo appears with a series of buttons at the bottom. About 30 seconds later, a picture of Mars appears behind the logo, and every 30 seconds after that, the picture of Mars rotates a little bit. I am unable to move the pointer at all unless I happen to be moving the mouse when the picture of Mars rotates. When I enter the Task Manager to shut Doom 3 down, it shows Doom 3 alternating between a status of "running" (for a couple of seconds) and "not responding" (for about 30 seconds.)

Here are my system specs:

Intel P4 3.2Ghz
    Intel D865PERL Motherboard
    eVGA Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 (128 MB Ram)
    1 Gig ddr 333Mhz RAM (2 DIMMS of 512 Mb each)
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2
    Win 2000

Since this problem, I have updated my BIOS, video card, and sound blaster with the latest versions (clean installs of the video card and sound card.) I have uninstalled and reinstalled the demo after each, I cleaned out my registry, and I have tried Activision's suggestion of setting my desktop to 800x600 with 32-bit color. I have no CD-burning or copying software other than Roxio on my system at all.

If anyone has any suggestions, they would be appreciated, as I am not about to spend fifty bucks on a program whose demo won't even run.

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

The FX5200 isn't going to run the game. It is going to drag like hell but it should run better than you are describing.

Do you have directx 9c? If you do give up on the game. My wifes machine will run it, but like I said it drags. Guess what card she has?

3. ElKahone

ElKahone Thread Starter

I have DirectX 9b. I do a lot of 3d modelling and 9c is incompatible with 3dsMax.

My graphics card is also listed as meeting the requirements, so I didn't think there would be a problem if I lowered the game settings, but, of course, I can't even access the options screen.

4. ElKahone

ElKahone Thread Starter

Oops. Scratch that DirectX bit. That problem was with Max 5 and DirectX 9.0b. I have Max 6 and 9.0b.

What kind of problem does Doom3 have with 9.0b?

5. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

It requires 9c is the problem it has with 9b. :p

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!