1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

doom3 problems/questions

Discussion in 'Games' started by rosh325, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

Hey all,
    Well I just got my hands on doom 3 ::drool:: but I ran into some problems. I was running on minimum settings when about 10-20 minutes into the game I got a "doom has caused an error, it needs to close" type message (sorry I dont have the specific error", so of course, I closed doom and came here
    Specs:
    Amd [email protected]
    Corsair 512mbx2 (1 gig ram)
    Sapphire Radeon 128mb 9600 atlantis (powered by ati)
    350Watt p/s

I dont think I missed anything. I searched the forums and the first thing i did was realize that my card was installed with catalyst v3.8 (wayyy old), so i went to the sapphire site and updated to catalyst 4.5

I was wondering two things: 1)is my hardware acceptable for doom3 . I ran on minimum settings, but if i could kick it up that would always be great

2)I know I saw that there is a beta catalyst package on ati's site for doom 3, but I wasnt sure if it applied to my card as it's built by sapphire, not ATI. Thanks in advance and I'm actively monitoring so please dont hesititate to respond

2. McTimson

McTimson

For future reference, always get your drivers from ATI - card manufacturers typically use the same circuit board design, and all of them use the same graphics chip, which is what ATI makes, which is the main component of the board. So I would either install the newest Catalyst drivers (4.8), or get the beta 4.9's, which would probably work better.

Yes, that hardware should work, I have a similar setup, except mine is a 9600XT, and I can play at 1024x768 with medium settings just fine...so you should be able to play it decently.

3. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

are there any risks with the beta? Like the random malicious code that makes my computer explode? just kidding, but you know what i mean

4. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

also...do i need to sign up with radeon to get the beta version?

5. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I got no boots with the 4.9s on the first install, after that they were OK. I am running the 4.8s right now. They work with Doom 3 for me.

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

7. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

also.,..should this game be run in open gl or direct 3d?

8. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

LOL, I just loaded the thing up and let ATI deal with it. I do think it is more of an open gl game because from what I hear nvidias high end is whupping ati's butt with the game. nvidia is better at open gl.

9. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

are you saying that the card will automatically switch to open gl if it needs it? In my controll panel i see the option to choose one. With my ati, should I run it in g/l then?

10. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I would try it. I don't do anything. I just run it. I was running Fraps on here the other day and I get "decent" framerates. Nothing to write home about but the gameplay is smooth.

Try it one way, and then try it the other and see what works best.

11. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

Hey all,
    Well I installed the 4.8 drivers off the ATI site, but when I try to open the ati catalyst controll panel i get the following error:

cli.exe: The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application

12. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

Oh, and the error message from doom3 (found it) was:

Faulting application doom3.exe, version 1.0.0.1, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.1217, fault address 0x00032e87.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

13. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

LOL, Rosh325. You downloaded that new ATI control panel. Man, you gotta wait awhile before using "new" software.
    Also, the open gl you were asking about is just a setting in the ati control panel. You set it and then just hit apply. With a 9600, just let the defaults handle it. Now, tell me if I am right. You did download that new control panel didn't you? The reason I think you did is because I got the same error with it. I don't like it at all. I did get it working but got rid of it.
    If I were you, I'd toss the 50 meg download and get the old control panel at 26 meg.
    Of course this would only apply if I am right about which one you installed.

14. GUSMAN

GUSMAN

Toss the Radeon into the trash can and get an Nvidia fx Range.

I bought the fx5200, one of the cheapest due to a tight budget, and Doom 3 works just fine, no upgrade this and upgrade that, the drivers came straight off the disk and I was away.

Just my thoughts, and by the way, if, or when you do get it working, it's the cats ***!

Cheers

Gus

15. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

hey all,
    well gusman, thanks for the opinion, but seeing how i did spend money on it, I'm not about to just throw it away. After updating my drivers doom works fine, so thank you all. As for the control panel, yes, i downloaded the bundle which included the catalyst control panel. It seems fancy, but it caused my computer to restart with a fatal error, oh well. Thanks all

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271867

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice