1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dormack48

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dormack48, Apr 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dormack48

dormack48 Thread Starter

Hi. Hope someone can help me with this. I have a dell desktop pc and it has gone from super fast to ultra super slow. I contacted Microsoft tech support and they did a remote check and told me it was caused by too many useless and repeticious files on my hard drive and said they could fix it and give me service for a year for $249. I am on social security and cannot afford this and found tech guy and started praying. Otherr than slow, I get error messages say "an error has occurred", even got it on tech guy new users video just a few minutes ago.anyone who can do a remote check is very very welcome. Oh, I use windows 7. thanks
    as of about 5 hours ago at around 7 pm 4/11, this is the first think that has opened and operated properly. in other words I cannot download. weirder and weirder.
    does anyone know how to boost the hot spot signal on my android ?

2. valis

valis Moderator

Howdy and welcome, and yup, chances are high we can fix it. And for free. :)

We won't do a remote session, however, but we also won't need to.

Whats the make/model of the dell?

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Do the following in that Dell in the order that they're listed.

----------------------------------------------------------

Download and save the TSG System Information Utility (SysInfo.exe) file to the desktop.

After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.

Information about your computer will appear.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

Go here, then click the large blue "Download Now @ Bleeping Computer" button to download and save AdwCleaner.exe to your desktop.

Close all open windows first, then double-click AdwCleaner.exe to load its main window.

Click the "Scan" button, then allow the scanning process to finish.

Click the "Logfile" button.

When the log appears, save it.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE log here.

When you close AdwCleaner, ignore the warning that appears, then click "Yes".

4. dormack48

dormack48 Thread Starter

I'm not sure about the model as there is a sticker on the mfg. label. it was originally a vista but now windows 7. the only other sticker says intel core. by the way, when the Microsoft tech did a remote he said he found many files that need to be gotten rid of on the hard drive but I am not sure of his veracity as he just wanted to sell me a year service plan. there are a lot of duplicate files it seems to me as I did window key R and windows checked online and many of the files say the same this. storage files for alladin, windows etc. Like I said I am a puter dummy. If you need your tractor fixed or home landscaped I would be your man but these machines are foreign to me. thanks

5. valis

valis Moderator

No worries chief. We all started somewhere. :)

Got an aunt pushing 90 who is an ebay wizard, so no worries whatsoever.

follow flavallee's instructions, and we'll get to work.

6. valis

valis Moderator

You do brakes? ;)

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Please complete the instructions in post #3, then we can go from there.

I'm getting ready to shut down for the rest of the day, so I'll check back here in the morning.

---------------------------------------------------------

8. dormack48

dormack48 Thread Starter

I ran the cleaner andTech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2046 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GSO 512 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1), 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 476837 MB, Free - 446199 MB; I: Total - 99 MB, Free - 71 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0RY007
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled it removed a lot of files and other stuff. stuff ? sound like a puter wizard, right. lol

9. dormack48

dormack48 Thread Starter

I did what flavalee told me to and I checked after the ADW cleaner completed its mission and it is a little better but nowhere back to its old self. hope we can get to the bottom of this and I really appreciate what you are doing

10. dormack48

dormack48 Thread Starter

Oh yeah. wish I didn't but have been for longer than I want to think about. you have brake problems ?

11. dormack48

dormack48 Thread Starter

when I tried 4 times to do the adw it froze every time with a few seconds lift to complete. going to start it again and hit the hay and see what happens. Is therew an alternative cleaner you use ?

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You appear to have a 2007 Dell Inspiron 530 desktop.

Is that correct or is it a different model name/model number?

Yours has 2 GB of RAM, so you should consider adding another 2 GB of RAM to it.

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    A "Scan" and "Logfile" only generates a report and does not remove any threats, so you must've done a "Scan" and "Cleaning".

Go here, then click the large blue "Download Now @ Author's site" button to download and save TFC.exe (Temp File Cleaner by OldTimer) to your desktop.

After it's downloaded and saved, close all open windows.

Double-click it to load its main window.

Click the "Start" button.

If there are a large number of temp files and/or there are multiple user accounts, the temp file deletion process may appear to freeze or may take a few minutes, so be patient.

After the temp file deletion process is finished, restart the computer.

Note: Advise us how many temp files in MB's were deleted.

14. dormack48

dormack48 Thread Starter

it seemed to be about 20 or so files maybe a few more. It finished showing me the files and then stopped with the last line. Dummy me should have realized I needed to at least copy the log file but I am used to the prompts. otherwise that was it. when I went back to try and download again it was seconds from finishing and froze then after quite a wait said download failure and cannot download the next times. tell what to do and I will do it

15. dormack48

dormack48 Thread Starter

It does open explorer a little faster and go to subject choices but it is weird, tech guy is the only thing that will open. not yahoo nor anything else.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146432

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice