DOS and command prompt probs!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

janlafata

I have Windows XP Home and for some reason, all of a sudden I am unable to run any kind of commands in the Command prompt under Start - Programs - Accessories. I used to be able to run things like system file checker and ipconfig but for some reason I cannot now. Could DOS be corrupted or am I just accessing things wrongly. Last time I tried to run IPCONFIG I received a message that said "IPCONFIG is not recognized as an internal or external command operable program"....Also when I open up the command prompt it says C:\Documents and Settings\Username. That's right isn't it?

Go to Start > run and enter: cmd

It shouldn't matter where it opens up to, that can be changed, but your UserProfile is the default.

When you get a "not recognized" response, verify that the file is on your system and note the location.

For example, ipconfig.exe should be present in the system32 directory.

If the file is present but you still get a "not recognized" error, open up System Properties (winkey+pause/break) and select "advanced > environment variables". What does it say for "path"?

janlafata

In System Properties it says C:\Documents and Settings\Jan\Local Settings\Temp

Are you sure you selected the "path" variable and not "temp"; and that you are looking at the full line, not just the end of it?

Select the "edit" tab, then right click on and highlight to "select" the entry and then right click and select "copy".

Paste the exact path variable here, do not edit it yet though. Do the same for the "comspec" entry as well.

And verify that you are on Windows XP home and not an upgrade from another OS.

Also if you enter set from a command window, does it return the same path variable, or do you get an error?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online