1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dos boot CD will work on some PCs but not others

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jackalope474, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jackalope474

jackalope474 Thread Starter

I am trying to create a boot CD for GHOST 2001 for an IBM laptop that does not have a floppy drive. I have created it using a floppy GHOST boot disk and NERO 5.5 burner software. It works fine on 5 of my machines, but does not work on 4 others. Of course one of those is the laptop with no floppy. I have verified that the bios is set to boot from the CD prior to the hard drive. On these machines during the boot sequense it sees that there is a boot CD there, but it never boots. The curser just sits in the upper left hand corner of the screen and never moves. I know the image is good since it works on 3 Dell desktops and 2 IBM laptops, but does not work on another IBM laptop, 2 Compaq desktops, and a home made Athalon clone with a Lite On 40X CD/RW that burned the CDs.

Any ideas on what is stopping the boot process?

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Try using a brand CDRs and burning at a lower speed. Some CD Roms - especially older ones have trouble reading CDrs. They may be able to read from windows, but by then CD drivers have been loaded and the error correction will force a retry - often successful. When Booting it is first time or never.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170068

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice