1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dos command for

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by guymm, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. guymm

guymm Thread Starter

I have booted my computer off a boot disk and I got my computer to a command prompt. What do I have to change in autorun.bat to make dos read my hard drive (so i can get a disk check).

guymm_

2. Lance1

Lance1

I would assume you have XP? Do you have the XP CD? Boot from it and select the first repair option and use the command chkdsk /f /r

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you have NTFS, booting to DOS will likely not be able to do a chkdsk.

But more information on why you need to do this may be helpful. Normally you can just boot to XP and run it from there. Is XP not booting?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

A CHKDSK /X will automatically dismount the volume. If it's your boot volume, the system will reboot and run the CHKDSK during the boot process. /X assumes /F

5. guymm

guymm Thread Starter

windows xp is corrupt(due to a power failure) so it won’t start. I have booted my computer off a disk and got dos to a command prompt. I need to make dos understand that it has a hard drive(that before my computer crash was known as C: ) in it. so I can access CHKDSK and fix it. what do I need to change in autorun.bat?

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You need to get to the recovery console. The only way to do that is too boot with your Windows XP install disk. A dos boot disk will not recognize your hard drive because it cannot access an NTFS formatted drive.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Another option might be to put the hard drive in as a secondary in another computer (which you apparently have since you are posting). Then try the chkdsk from there. Recovered three non-bootable computers just last week like this. Sure saved a lot of time. Maybe just got luck with them but might be worth a try.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437351

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice