1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DOS Database PCFile On WinXP DOS ??

Discussion in 'DOS/Other' started by DJT, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DJT

DJT Thread Starter

I have a favorite old DOS data base system, PCFile, and would like to run it on a planned XP system. Can anyone forecast what the results will be? I am suspicious DOS on XP maybe crippled or somehow a subset of the real DOS.

Thanks

DJT

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

There is no "real" DOS in Windows XP. There's no way to predict if the software will work or not. Try it and see.

3. DJT

DJT Thread Starter

The DOS associated with XP is likely an emulation of some sort, so thats why I was suspicious. I have not had the opportunity to play with XP.

So I hear ya, it comes down to try it and see what happens. I was hoping that more clarity on the topic would be available.

If I have to, I could migrate to MS Access, but, why use a sledgehammer to kill a fly?

DJT

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, unless it used the older file access with FCB's, it's likely it'll work just fine. FCB's are not compatible with FAT32 or NTFS access, so that could be a sticking point. They're emulated somewhat by the MS-DOS simulation of 2K/XP, but from my experience, that's a suspect area.

You could also try running it in a virtual DOS machine under Microsoft Virtual PC, which is now free to download.

FWIW, the only MS-DOS application I found that wouldn't work was SuperSort, which re-uses it's FCB's, and the MS-DOS emulation chokes on it. Obviously, applications that access the bare hardware will be troublesome. COM port emulation is provided, but not much else.

5. DJT

DJT Thread Starter

Thank you for the info. I expect to give this some attention in the next few weeks & update this thread with the results.

DJT

6. JohnWill

Let us know... :)

7. lord-paul

lord-paul

I have been using PCFILE for many years and it works OK on WIN98 and XP.

If you find you need to print using a USB printer then DOSPRINT will do that job for you too.

8. lord-paul

lord-paul

There is REAL DOS within XP. ?????????????

There IS

Try going to cmd prompt and most of the DOS commands will STILL work OK.

9. steigrafx

steigrafx

If you need to print, let us know. You can use the "net use" command to direct output to your printer. A third-party printing app usually isn't necessary.

10. JohnWill

Actually, there really is NOT a "real" DOS, it's an emulation. Yes, many applications work, but then many others don't.

11. timberwolf-55

timberwolf-55

16 bit applications, and I think I remember this program from the DOS days being a really nice database program and as such a 16 bit program, don't do well on XP. I think you should check out MS Access. if you into database development on a low level, you'll be happy.

12. JohnWill

Actually, all MS-DOS applications were 16 bit applications, and most of them will run fine with XP's DOS emulation.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544173

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice