1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DOS - Deadends Outrage and Sabotage

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ArleyM, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ArleyM

ArleyM Thread Starter

Heyhey,

My life became fraught with pain the minute I started working on an old Pentium Compaq laptop. It had been once upon a time set to be dually booty, and when booting up for an instant you can see the menu to choose between Windows 2000 and Windows 98.

So, rather than go into (the killer slow) windows 2k, I decided to be smooth and fast, and was able to get into win98. It didn't boot up. Instead, I'm stuck at a dos prompt C:\. I figure this means that win98 was taken off the system poorly, and in such a way that the computer doesn't know it's not there. Not really knowing dos, I decide to reboot. I reset and it goes right back to the dos prompt! Whatever I last typed in the dos thing is still there too. It didn't count the ram or do any of the other cute things a booty puter should do. Pain.

Dudes - What do I do? If it was up to me, I'd have a contest to see who could throw it the farthest or make it bounce highest, but it's not mine. So I've come to the pros.

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

Hhmmm... When you say reset, what do you mean or what did you do? It's just possible that being old and a Comcrap at that it needs a battery charge. Was this thing running daily or has it been sitting for months / years?

It may have forgotten all it's BIOS settings.

3. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

When you rebooted, was it a full power down and then power back up?

4. ArleyM

ArleyM Thread Starter

Oh man, I kinda feel like a tool now. I powered down and all that, what finally made the diff was taking the battery out. Why didn't I think of that?

I don't know the history of this computer, but I suspect abuse and neglect were prime. Anyhoo, thanks dudes!

5. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

No problem. (y)

We all over look the small and obvious things from time to time.

6. griffinspc

griffinspc

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172111

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice