1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DOS file Sharing from one PC to another DOS PC

Discussion in 'DOS/Other' started by MyBootDisks., Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MyBootDisks.

MyBootDisks. Thread Starter

I would like to setup a DOS system with a HD as a shared drive. I have a peer-to-peer network and want to transfer from the command line files from the "server" to the "client".

What is the easiest way to do this?

Later, I would like to add the client software that connects to the server onto a bootdisk, so I can easily copy over the files automatically.

Any Ideas?

Thanks!

2. plejon

plejon

What peer-to-peer network are you currently using ?

In the dos days, most of networking was done in a client/server model with novell clients and a dedicated novell server. Not sure if a dos novell client can connect to a windows home network. You'd have to check.

I've used novell light in the early nineties, which was a peer to peer version of novell. I believe the product was long since discontinued. It was also included in DR DOS 6

You might have a look at Lantastic from Artisoft, another big name at the time. Their version 8 still seems to support DOS (see http://www.spartacom.com/products/lantastic.htm)

A final option might be Windows for workgroups 3.11 . I believe there was a product called connection for Workgroup for DOS only pc's

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Interlnk and Intersvr???

4. plejon

plejon

Maybe some laplink style software?

5. MyBootDisks.

I want to use NIC cards not a laplink cable. But I would like to have it done in command line instead of a menu driven application.

I will always be copying over the same directory so I simply want to do this.

I reinstall Windows on a few of my computers (yes, I have a volume license) and would like to have it automated.

This is what I have so far, I have a bootdisk that will copy the contents from the CD to the HD and then install the OS.

What I would like to do now is....have two computers where one has the CD Install directory already copied to the HD and have the other computer connect to it and copy the files over from it.

I want this to me totally automated, if no one knows how to automatic it thats ok....I will look into that side of things. I really only need to get a command line application that will see the "server" computer and connect to it.

When I am all done this, I would like to put it up on the internet for anyone to download for free.

6. DaveBurnett

If you have Ghost, you could use that to set up a bootable recovery diskette. You can then crib the files from there. The only thing you will have problems with is the different network cards and drivers.

7. MyBootDisks.

I didn't want to use an imaging software, because when I put this software online for people to download for free they will not have Ghost and will not have the image.

I want to keep away from the commerical softwares....want to make it a NO COST ware ;)

8. DaveBurnett

You miss-understood.
    I meant get Ghost to generate the commands necessary to do the links and then crib them to create your own.

9. MyBootDisks.

ok...hey you are right I don't understand.

Ghost uses a DHCP Server in the Windows environment. But yes the client is a DOS client which downloads the image from the server.

But don't think this will work.

10. DaveBurnett

When you create a Ghost recovery boot disk for a network recovery it creates a DOS environment with all the necessary dos network drivers and links. The last bit is the Ghost executable which you don't need, but could be replaced by a XCOPY command to copy the CD contents from the network followed by the setup script.

11. MyBootDisks.

umm....ok....any idea where I can download this from?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171493

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice