1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DOS FREEZE!?!? help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rosh325, Feb 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

Hi,
    In an attempt to preform a clean install of windows xp, i attempted to format my fujitsu 8gig HD using the XP CD in dos. However, mid format DOS froze....in addition, if i tried to repair an install using DOS, the computer would freeze...what would cause this...i thought Dos was supposed to be "dependable operating system"......is this a sign of HD failure (my hd has 4kb bad sector)......I finally got the drive to reformat by using a fan to blow on the hard drive.

2. Rockn

Rockn

The drive sounds bad if you have bad sectors already marked and you need a fan to cool it. Just doesn't sound like a good situation to install any OS on let alone XP. Get a new drive.

3. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

as long as we're talking about a new drive......my system has "ultra dma 33" (im assuing thats ATA 33)......most new drives use ata 100...what would i need to use them?......

4. Rockn

Rockn

You can use newer drives on that interface, they will just run slower. You can alsways add an ATA100 controller if you want all the benefits of the faster drive.

5. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

How expensive is this type of controller/how much slower does the drive run

6. Rockn

Rockn

I believe that WD is giving away a free ATA100 controller with their 120GB drives. Look on pricewatch....they are as low as $16

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117750

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice