1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dos in WinXP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Startreker, Jan 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Startreker

Startreker Thread Starter

Hi there, Hope you can help me!!!

I have just downloaded some games using CuteFTP Pro and found that they were in dos. I have Windows XP Pro and tried Playing the games in the command prompt and using the Compatibility wizard and both do not work (all that happens is the game works but i cannot use the keyboard or the mouse) which is quite annoying.

The games are:
    Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker
    Sensible Soccer
    And a couple of others

I liked playing them on an old machine which does not work now.

My Specs are:
    Athalon XP Processor
    Win XP Pro
    256 MB Ram
    80 GB HD (70 Free)
    GForce 4 Graphics Card

Please Help!!

Trekker

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Hi Treker,

Since XP is built upon NT, many DOS based programs will not work. Even with the various emulations. It really depends on what the game needs to access to function properly.

You really just have to go by trial and error. For example, I tried playing Lemmings a few weeks ago on XP Pro and it worked fine. Tried Wing Commander I-IV and got nothing but install errors.

Only workarounds I can think of is to set up a dual OS system for Windows XP and 98, if possible (I haven't tried this) or get a 2nd PC and load up just Win98.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Even simplier is a dual boot to MS-DOS and W2K/XP. If you make your boot partition FAT32, you can slide DOS in without desturbing Windows and have a dual boot. I believe that I discussed this in the past here, I use BOOTPART and BOOTSECT utilities to do the whole job.

4. Startreker

Startreker Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies

Was Thinking of the same thing (dual boot).

I quite like Win XP and have my computer running quite efficiently. I didn't like 98 very much and was wondering if there was any other way.

Not sure how to to get a dual boot but as the my system is working ok the usual rule is what's working do not touch!!!

Trekker

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116247

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice