1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DOS information

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by jdemnyan1116, Feb 2, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. jdemnyan1116

jdemnyan1116 Thread Starter

I am terrified about doing anything in DOS. Can anyone suggest a book for the average person to read about DOS. Maybe if I understood it I wouldn"t be so afraid of it. Had to do it once but had teck help along the way. Was a nervous wreck.

2. CyBerAliEn

CyBerAliEn

I do believe (not sure) that there is a "Book for Dummies" book on DOS. But I am not too sure.

Out of curiosity, why do you need help with DOS? Generally it is not used too much these days (lol... I still remember when Windows 3.0 was cool).

3. n2gun

n2gun

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

DOS is really a lot safer to play with than Windows. About the only thing you can really mess up with is the deltree command (rd /s or rmdir (remove directory) when using cmd.exe), or possibly Format if you have used a boot disk.

By the way if you have XP with the ntfs file system, about the only access to DOS is through the XP cmd.exe window. And the command syntax there will be different in some respects than that you will see for Win9x DOS.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...dowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/dos_diffs.asp

The main problem is to learn how to navigate using DOS shortnames when file names are longer than 8 characters. (You must use the first 6 characters and add ~1)

5. deh

deh

One thing I hate about NTFS. I like DOS, maybe I am old school or just have some programming in the blood but I knew as long as that computer could boot to a command prompt you could get any info off of it. Now I know if you can't boot to Windows you can troubleshoot it but I just like having DOS as the backup. And that Repair feature? Geez soon there aren't going to be any true troubleshooters out there. Computer support now just wants ya to insert restore disk rather than solve the problem.

Another thing, If DOS crashes, 99% chance you have a hardware problem.

6. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

I totally agree with you. What's going to happen when even Techies have to get support. I appreciate all of the advances that have been made, but 10 years ago, I could take a 386 and make it hummm like a 486. Just because I could tweak the configuration and fine tune it like a swiss watch. Now, I find myself constrained by an operating system that doesn't allow for as many configuration possibilities.

Geez. DOS was great. Windows IS greater, but I do have a fondness for DOS commands.

P.S. In a DOS window, type the command, then space, then a front slash, then a question mark for all of the info on how to use that command.
    Example dir /? will tell you exactly how to use the DIR command.
    :D

Thanks for the blast into the past.

7. deh

deh

Commands still rule.

L-I-N-U-X

I know most people boot up to the GUI, not me I start off at the command and pull up the interfaces I want when I want them.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116638

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice