1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DOS Legacy Music program

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gawest, Nov 17, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gawest

gawest Thread Starter

If I'm posting this in the wrong forum, please re-direct me... I've just upgraded to Win98SE from Win3.1. I also changed computers and Sound cards, from an MPU401 MIDI card in my old computer, to a Sound Blaster SBPCI198 in the new one. The SB card has a MIDI out, and I'm connecting to an external MIDI synthesizer, which has worked in the past. The old music program, Music Printer Plus, (which I LOVE) will not communicate with the external synth, like it used to do flawlessly in my old computer. Is there anyone here who can give me any suggestions as to what to try? In Windows, I can get Cakewalk to play MIDI files through the external synth, but when I go into DOS, Music Printer doesn't see the synth input, and when I ask it to play one of it's files, the sound comes out through the internal synth (on the sound card) and it's all garbage, scratchy noises bearing no resemblance to the music. Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. LarryCore

LarryCore

Since the problem is with a new card and 98, I'm going to move this to the hardware forum.

If nobody replies by Saturday I'll have a look at it. I don't think I'll have time before then.

------------------
    Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech:
    LarryCore begs for money

Vote for the best Tech Support site: VOTE for Helponthe.net!

3. LarryCore

LarryCore

Saturday, Sunday... so I have trouble with the days of the week [​IMG]

So, just to make sure I understand your problem correctly - all is well in Windows. But, you have a DOS based program you want to use, and it won't run properly with your new sound card. Did I get that right?

How are you booting to DOS? Start, Shutdown to DOS mode? Are you sure you have the DOS drivers installed for the card? It is a SB128 right?

------------------
    LarryCore begs for money

Vote for the best Tech Support site: VOTE for Helponthe.net!

4. gawest

gawest Thread Starter

Larry: I have a shortcut on my Desktop that takes me into DOS mode by running a batch file. It was given to me by a friend who says it works on his system. I guess I should know more about it, but there are lots of things I don't know about this new OS, and how it handles things like this. The batch file says

c:\mpp\vapisb /addr:220 /irq:7
    c:\mpp\sapisb /port:5
    c:\mpp\mpp41 %1 %2 %3 %4 %5
    c:\mpp\sapisb /rem
    c:\mpp\vapisb /rem

This runs the program and allows me to print stuff, but there's no communication between the SB128 and my outboard synth, which should happen in MIDI, and does happen when I use a Windows-based sequencer, like Noteworthy Composer.

Re: drivers. I've downloaded every driver I can lay my hands on, and nothing seems to work.

Thanks for helping - I feel very much like I'm at an impasse. Creative (SoundBlaster) has not replied to my queries. I haven't yet asked Microsoft for suggestions, but I suspect that they'll not be interested in supporting someone else's sound card and an ancient DOS program....

5. LarryCore

LarryCore

Hmm - that shortcut doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Well, maybe... I guess the big question is are the settings correct, and is this shutting down to DOS or just opening a DOS window?

To check the settings, at a DOS prompt type SET and let us know what your BLASTER= says - this line has to match the settings you have shown above or it won't find your sound card. We also have to make sure that the DOS SB128 drivers are loading - if not, it won't work in DOS even if the settings are correct.

So, let us know if it is rebooting to DOS, and if the numbers match.

------------------
    LarryCore begs for money

Vote for the best Tech Support site every day: VOTE for Helponthe.net!

6. gawest

gawest Thread Starter

Larry: I'm not sure how to tell if it's shutting down to DOS, or opening a DOS window. When I type "set", this is what I get:

C:\MPP>set
    TMP=c:\windows\TEMP
    TEMP=C:\windows\TEMP
    PROMPT=$p$g
    winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS
    PATH=C:\WINDOWS;c:\windows;c:\windows\COMMAND
    COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
    DIRCMD=/w /oeg

C:\MPP>^C

I must tell you that I finally got a reply from Creative, in which they indicate that the SB128 will not work in DOS. Can this be true? Here's a copy of their reply:

Was your DOS sequencer designed for DOS or MSDOS mode? If it is old then
    it was probably designed for DOS and will not work in MSDOS mode. The PCI
    128 will not work in just standard DOS. Only MSDOS mode. You might
    consider contacting the manufacturer of the software and ask them about
    this particular software application.

I can't decipher this - Does it mean that there are no DOS drivers for the PC128? This software (MP+) worked fine in the DOS that was behind Win 3.1. Have I upgraded myself out of a sequencer?

Thanks again for your help.
    George

7. LarryCore

LarryCore

What they are saying is that if your machine is rebooting into DOS mode it will not work.

But if it is simply running a DOS session inside Windows it will work.

How to tell... When you click on the shortcut what happens? Does the screen go black and say "shutting down / restarting in DOS mode"?

The set command is not showing the DOS paramaters for your sound card, so you do NOT have the DOS legacy drivers installed. In this case, even DOS mode of Windows won't work.

I'm looking around creative's site right now to try and find out how to install the DOS mode drivers for the SB128.

------------------
    LarryCore begs for money

8. LarryCore

LarryCore

9. gawest

gawest Thread Starter

Larry: I downloaded that file, and followed the instructions, typing in the "set" parameters, etc. But when I try to run SBLEGACY.EXE, I get "Memory Parity error - system halted." and I have to push the Reset button to get back in. Arrrrgh! I feel as if I'm getting closer, and also farther away, with each step.

Thanks for (I hope) continuing to gnaw at this with me.........

10. LarryCore

LarryCore

Are you running that while still in Windows or are you shutting down to DOS mode first? There is a big difference between the two.

------------------
    LarryCore begs for money

11. gawest

gawest Thread Starter

Larry: I tried it both ways: In a DOS window, it gives me "memory parity error", and freezes. If I shut down and "restart in DOS mode", I can run sblegacy.exe, and it says "I/O Test PASSED" on all four tests (Legacy-IN, Legacy-OUT, System-IN, System-OUT.) but when I run "sbtest.exe", it says "error "000"; invalid SB16 I/O address." And when I try to run my Music Printer Plus program, it still says it can't load the VAPI driver, and doesn't detect the MIDI hardware. This is all in DOS mode.

What next?

12. LarryCore

LarryCore

Well, I'm not sure... Are you running SET to make sure the SB variables are correctly set? I'm guessing that the second testing program is looking for the IO there.

------------------
    LarryCore begs for money

13. gawest

gawest Thread Starter

Larry: I have run SET, but how am I supposed to know if the "SB variables are correctly set?" I added some SET= lines to the Autoexec.bat file, but they disappeared. I have no manual or any information to tell me what the SB variables *should* be.

14. LarryCore

LarryCore

When you type SET what does it say for BLASTER= ?

That is the line that matters in this case. As for what it should say... well, it should be set to the numbers that your card is actually on. Does the legacy.exe program give you any numbers?

------------------
    LarryCore begs for money

15. gawest

gawest Thread Starter

When I type SET,the BLASTER=a:220 I:7 D:1 T:2. When I run SBCFG.EXE, I get
    "Error: Config contains an invalid value.
    Port : 0 (HEX 0000)"

I run SBLOAD,EXE, and apparently nothing happens - it just returns to a C: prompt.

I run SBMIXER.EXE, and I get
    "Error: PCI audio driver is not loaded."

I run SBTEST.EXE, and I get
    "Detecting SB....
    error: "000"; invalid SB16 I/O address."

I run SBINIT.EXE, and I get
    "Error: Config contains an invalid value.
    Port : 0 (HEX0000)
    PCI audio driver NOT loading."

But when I run SBLEGACY.EXE, I get
    "Running I/O Test; Legacy-IN ...
    I/O Test PASSED.
    Running I/O Test; Legacy-OUT ...
    I/O Test PASSED.
    Running I/O Test; System-IN ...
    I/O Test PASSED.
    Running I/O Test; System-OUT ...
    I/O Test PASSED.
    *** TEST PASSED ***"

Obviously, I'm not getting the PCI DOS driver loaded. But why? What is the DOS driver's name?

Secondarily, why do the SET lines that I keep adding to my AUTOEXEC.BAT file keep disappearing? I have a SET DIRCMD line in there, and it stays put. But the SET BLASTER and SET SBPCI lines go away every time I reboot.......???

Thanks for hanging in there with me - this is the most frustrating thing I've ever bent my brain on.....

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/34811

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice