1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DOS Program WYSIWYG won't work in XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Barnaby2, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Barnaby2

Barnaby2 Thread Starter

I use an old word-processor, XyWrite with XP, & on this computer the WYSIWYG feature stopped working. I've restored the OS from disks, and it still doesn't work. Works fine on all my other machines. Any ideas (apart from tossing this machine)?

I assumed that restoring from disks would reformat everything, & so replace any damaged files--was this a mistaken assumption?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you formatted the drive, then all the files should have been replaced.

What exactly happens when you try to run this program? Are the "other machines" XP?

3. Barnaby2

Barnaby2 Thread Starter

Yes, 2 XPs, 1 W98. This one worked initially.
    It's very odd. The program goes into full-screen mode all right, then refuses the WYSIWYG command, & blacks out. When I return to the small screen, the program is still there, but crashed.
    I don't do much hands-on with XP, but back in W98 days I knew that to restore the OS you had to reformat the machine manually, boot from a startup disk, then rebuild everything, drivers & all, from scratch. With this machine, XP is bundled with the Compaq drivers & programs on 11 disks--and now I have my doubts about the automated reformatting stage. This is a new set of disks, too, from HP.

I'm assuming the ntvdm.exe function is corrupted somewhere, but where, I haven't a clue. Everything looks all right.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

You might try Event Viewer to see if it gives you any hints.

You most probably can't boot to the XP Recovery Console sice Compaq has done all in its power to make you completely dependent on them for any repairs.

But you can nevertheless create your own CD that contains the Recovery Console that everyone who got an XP CD has access to. From there, you can format your partitions, insuring that they are really empty for the recovery.

XP Recovery Console CD image

Just burn the above CD image (as an image) and boot from it. After logging in, you can run format.

Type:

map <Enter>

to see what drive letters have been assigned in the RC, which may not necessarily be the same as they were in XP.

5. Barnaby2

Barnaby2 Thread Starter

Thank you! I've downloaded the recovery console--which I've never used. How far will it take me? The only XP disk I have, apart from the very baggy Compaq package set, is SP2. (The Compaq set insists on putting a Recovery Partition on, which I don't need or want.)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594072

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice