dos prompt

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

djphonix44

i lost my dos for dummies book and i cant find the command to format my hard drive. please somone explain to me in full detail how to get it to format

If indeed you really want to format your hard drive(it deletes all data/programs and settings) It is simple. Ifyou want anything on the drive, back it up, save setting for you isp documents and important data some other way and proced as follows.
Using a Win98 boot disk, boot from it and before proceding, make sure that you have access to you cd rom by inserting a windows disk. The boot disk creates a temporary artifical drive so id you cdrom was D:\ drive, it will now be E:\. From the A:\prompt type E:\ and from the e:\ prompt type Dir to see the contents of the Windows CD. If that all goes as expected go back to the A:\ prompt, type Format C:\ /S and when asked if you are sure, enter Yes. Everything on the hard disk is now being made inaccessable. When done, you have a place to do the clean install of Windows. Reboot, go back to the A:\ drive, type E:\ setup and windows should begin to install itself. I you have questions or need help, post back.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online