1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dos usb generic joystick drivers

Discussion in 'DOS/Other' started by JonathanFick, Apr 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JonathanFick

JonathanFick Thread Starter

I am attempting to get a usb joystick to work in dos.
    I purchaced the joystick/gamepad from Retrozone

this is what they said about it
    All RetroZone products are standard USB HID gamepads and need no specific drivers. They use the generic USB drivers built into the operating system. Fully supported operating systems include WinXP, Win2k, MacOS9, and MacOSX. Unix/Linux based systems should work. DOS based systems (Win98, WinME) may work, but are not officially supported.

dos supports usb keyboards,mice, and i have found a ton of info for usb storage devices
    why is there no basic joystick support

I even found usb support for BeOs here
    http://euc.jp/beos/beware.en.html

This is very frustrating , I want to use these usb controlers but I hate windows

Please help

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Perhaps the issue lies with there actually being no native support for USB in DOS, never has been and never will be?

The only support in later OS's is that provided under the BIOS for keyboard and mouse.

Windows NT, 2000 and XP do not even have or use DOS, they have a "DOS emulator" that runs under Windows.

Pure DOS (as in older versions of WIndows, or DOS only PCs will not have the support you require, it was never part of DOS. SOme device makers may have written third party controllers but not many.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think you will probably have to "suck it up" and use Windows. ;) DOS is dead, or at least Microsoft is trying to kill it! :D

4. denbush

denbush

I think it is from freedos.org I believe they have USB drivers built into their version of DOS. Might be worth trying if you are not married to MS/PC DOS.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!