1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DOS/Win98 Boot Problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by oh1124, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oh1124

oh1124 Thread Starter

Ok, first off, I have two computers. One is running Win98, while the other is running DOS (I think 6.22). The reason I am running DOS on the 2nd is so that I can play the old DOS games that I love, which I cannot under Win98, because it does not allocate enough memory to DOS.

I would like to be able to put Win98 on my 2nd machine, but still be able to play the old games. Does anyone have any suggestions?

My first idea was to partition the hard drive so that I could either boot to DOS or Win98, but, quite frankly, I don't know how to do this. I do think that it might be the easiest, though.

My second idea was to see if anyone knows a way to force more DOS-shell memory under Win98, but I have tried all the online suggestions, and none of them allocate enough.

If anyone can help, please reply, or email me at [email protected].

Also, once I figure out a way to do this (or someone tells me a way to do it) I would like to network them, and it would help to know the easiest (and by that, I mean cheapest) way to do this.

Please help.

Thanks
    Wade B

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Dos exists with Win98 - all you have to do is bring up that startup menu using F8 or CTRL keys and select command prompt only. You can also restart into DOS mode from Windows by going to Start - Shutdown - Restart in DOS. Without knowing what you've tried I can only suggest that you right click on the DOS program and change its properties there.

3. oh1124

oh1124 Thread Starter

I should have been more clear.

I have tried to go into a DOS shell, but the problem with Win98 (and other windows OS's that have come after) is that it does not let you enter true DOS. It goes into a shell that still runs under Win98; it's not like Windows 3.11, in which you actually booted the computer into DOS, and then Windows ran under it.

I think Win95 still used true DOS, but I can't find a copy. I've tried just about every way I can think of to force more memory into the DOS shell, but it's still not enough to run the old DOS programs. It's just a problem of Win98 not being very backward compatible.

Thanks anyway for responding.

Wade B

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166453

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice