1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DOS Window and long file names

Discussion in 'DOS/Other' started by Rockn, Dec 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rockn

Rockn Thread Starter

Just reinstalled Win98 recently and now when I open a DOS window and enter the dir command, all file names over the 8.3 format are truncated to look like C:\mydocu~1 etc. It used to display the whole file name spaces and all. Even typing them in changing directories I have to type them in that way. Just an annoyance and wonder if anyone knows how to change it.

2. MacFromOK

MacFromOK

Does it still show the long filenames on the right?

3. Rockn

Rockn Thread Starter

The right what? If you were referring to a WIndows Explorer window, the file names are displayed correctly there. It's only in a DOS window where they are truncated with the tilde.

4. MacFromOK

MacFromOK

I meant "on the right" of a DOS box.

I'm just trying to figure out if your re-install eliminated
    your long filenames. I guess you show long filenames
    in an Explorer window?

I only have Windows 95, and the DOS box always
    looks like the attached pic. I have to enclose long
    filenames in quotes for DOS commands if I don't
    want to use the truncated names.

[EDIT]
    Oops, sorry. I missed you said they displayed OK
    in the Explorer window... :(

Attached Files:

5. Rockn

Rockn Thread Starter

Gotcha....mine looks just like yours. I guess it's just the problem with having to type the truncated file names when changing directories that bugs me. It has never done it b4 the reinstall.

6. mole

mole

Rockn,

Makes me wonder if you are using the same version of the command interpreter you were using before the reinstall.

If you search for command.com on your hard drive, how many different places does it show up? Are all the date stamps the same or are they different? If they are different and you explicitly call each one (specify the full path to the command.com file) do any of them provide the behavior you are used to?

Mac, I agree that it looks like the long file names have all been turned into 8x3's, but it seems to me other problems would be evident if that happened.

Weird.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!