1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dot Matrix Blues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zusano, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zusano

zusano Thread Starter

First off, if anyone can solve this problem, I will forever be your admirer! :)

I have a medical transcription business and print on continuous label paper using a dot matrix printer. The labels (without the pinfeed edges) are 8" wide and 2" high, but continuous, like I said. I was using a Panasonic dot matrix and the driver was IBM Proprinter x24e. Through trial-and-error, research, talking to people, I finally hit upon that combination of printer and driver that would allow me to set 0 (zero) margins, top and bottom. This allowed me to get 11 lines of text on each 2" label.

In the fall, I upgraded to Vista. Alas, on Vista, the IBM proprinter x24e driver was not available. I have searched for this driver and supposedly downloaded it, but apparently it didn't work. I have written Microsoft and was told this driver is not available on Vista. I came to understand while using this IBM driver that it is used for a lot of printers because it is so generic.

Therefore, I bought an Epson LQ-590 dot matrix so that it would work with Vista. This was last fall 2007.

I use WordPerfect as my application (and did the the other printer too.)

Here are my label specs: Label sheet size 8"x12"; label size 8" wide x 2" high; Labels per page, 1 column, 6 rows. Everything else on that page is 0 except for left and right margins.

However, when I print, it leaves the top line of text off every label sheet. In other words, it leaves the first line off label #1, then prints the other 5 labels correctly. Then, it leaves the first line off label #7, then prints the other 5 correctly. And so on.

If I change the sheet size to 8" x 2" and the labels per page to 1 column 1 row, it does the same thing, leaves the top line off every label, in that case.

The only work around I have been able to do is have wide top and bottom margins (on each label of course), only getting 7 lines of text per page instead of the 11 I want to get.
    This isn't satisfactory to me or my clients.

Epson, a computer tech that came to my house, various other authorities, cannot solve this problem. If anyone here can solve it, I will be amazed and ecstatic!!!

2. m-dash

m-dash

Zusano,

Does WP show the correct placement of the first label onscreen, or in print preview? In other words, is the first line of the top label *not* missing onscreen? I used to print labels in WP5.1 on a dot matrix printer, and I remember how tricky it could be to get pin-feed labels to line up correctly.

A few things you can try... look in the documentation that came with the Epson printer, and see if you can adjust the "top of form" loading position. My own Epson at home, and the one I used at work, both had an adjustment for this, I remember. Also, when I printed my own labels at work, it helped me get them aligned by inserting a "center page vertically" formatting code on each page, using Search and Replace... but I know that the later WP versions have a "Center all pages" formatting code that you can place at the top of the first label, since WP treats each label as a "logical" page.

As another option, if you haven't tried it, in WP, search the help file for how to make adjustments to the paper size/type you are using... I know that the DOS and older Windows versions have a "top text adjustment" that you can make to the paper size for problems like this that occur with incorrect print alignment; once the adjustment is made, WP will keep this vertical adjustment each time you use that paper size, unless or until you change it back. I assume that the most recent WPWin versions have a very similar feature.

Hope one of these suggestions will help, with a little experimentation.

M-dash

3. zusano

zusano Thread Starter

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I have made many adjustments to the top of form, but it doesn't help as far as how many lines of text I can get on a page. The print preview shows the label correctly. If I adjust the top line of text through the label sheet size window (moving it down on the page), it then leaves off the bottom lines of text, so I have to add a large bottom margin and am back to where I was. I'm not sure about the "center page vertically" option. I didn't really find that. Very frustrating.

4. m-dash

m-dash

If you want to see if the Center Page Vertically option might help, just check the WP help feature... in the older WPWin version I use most of the time, the menu sequence is Format > Page > Center, but it's probably been moved in the more recent versions.

Also worth trying... see if changing the font size or leading (vertical space between lines) adustment might help. If you are using a "scalable" font, WP will allow you to specify very small adjustments in point size, such as a tenth of a point. In addition, are you using the correct paper size/type definition in WP that actually reflects the details of your continous labels? Check the actual details of this paper definition in WordPerfect, and then re-check that against actual measurements you make with a ruler... any discrepancies you find can be adjusted by making corrections to the paper size/type definition that you are using within WP.

M-dash

5. Alberto

Alberto

I have read many sites on the web about problems with pinfeed dot printers. Also I have the problem but is not new, I have worked with that printers since 2004 and I culdn't find the solution. The solution is not in te setting or the driver or whatever, the problem is XP. There's something wrong with the OS. If somebody have found something about printing in user defined paper-size in continuous form I'd appreciate very much to share it with me.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!