1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Double check on something?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ITGL72, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ITGL72

ITGL72 Thread Starter

Trying to help a friend troubleshoot an issue with his win98 system. The system locked up on him the other day and he shut it down from the lockup state it was in and now gets errors on botting up. He cannot get to windows. I don't have access to the machine so its a bit harder for me to help. But... After a few steps that did not help, one of the error messages states to re-run windows setup because some of the configuration is hosed.

I am leaning towards this, I believe this will leave all his programs and such in place. We just want to run the setup program to go over the configuration and put things back to where they should be.

Wanted to double check with you guys before telling him to do this.

Anything to look out for?

Anything I need to remember (that I cant seem to remember now) for running this procedure?

TIA
    -G

2. JJJecj71

JJJecj71

Yes you can try this. I would also try putting it in MS DOS mode and from the C: prompt type in Win to see if that works tp bring up windows.

3. ITGL72

ITGL72 Thread Starter

We have been in the C prompt via boot disk I made for him when I shipped him this PC. We had to extract a file from the .cab's but it didnt help. Well it did in a way but not overall. (We were getting a VFAT error that went away)

Heres the latest information sent to me via email:

--------

OK.....
    I grabbed an old moniter and crap from upstairs so I got both machines running now.

If i hit "normal startup" a screen will flash quick that says XMS cache
    problems. registry not configured properly or something like that. only
    flashes for a sec and then i go to the blue screen. not sure if this is
    related to anything.
    anyway,
    the blue screen error is as follows:
    Invalid VxD dynamic link call from VWIN32(01) + 00000714 to device "0009",
    service 1.
    Your windows configuration is invalid. Run the windows setup program again
    to correct this problem.
    To continue running windows press Y or ENTER. To quit the current program
    press N. If you continue running windows, your system may become unstable.
    Do you want to continue?

Hitting N at this point brings up some blank green colored screen that looks
    like a mess. From there I cant do anything.

Hitting Y brings up another blue screen that say:
    A fatal exception OE has occurred at 0167:BFF8976B. The current application
    will be terminated.

press any key to terminate the application
    press crtl alt del to restart computer......

---------

Suggestions welcome.. Like I said I think we just need to run windows setup and have it try to fix itself. I did this on another machine once before. I never formatted the drive, just reinstalled windows, and everything that was originally loaded continued to work fine. I'm hoping this will be the same type of fix.

4. JJJecj71

JJJecj71

Ok Yes just put the disk in like your reformatting and just let it restore all the settings again but not reformat the drive. Worse comes to worse I would reformat as the last resort.

That should put everything back in the way it should.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112698

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice