1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Double Clicking on Word document within Microsoft Outlook 2007

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by John_Beet, Jun 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. John_Beet

John_Beet Thread Starter

howdy, I wonder if you could help? I have been tasked with finding a solution to a particulary annoying issue within Office 2007 Professional. The very first time you try and open up a Word Attachment within Outlook we receive an error message as follows :- "The System cannot find the file specified". If you leave Microsoft Word open and then double click the file again, the document opens.

I have tried all solutions\suggestions on how to fix this and none of these have helped. Has anyone else come across this issue and managed to resolve it?

2. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Welcome to the forum.

Is this localized to the one PC or does it happen when you log in on others? When others log in on your PC does it happen to them as well? Have you tried deleting the cache folder for Outlook attachments and seen if that fixes it? If you list everything that you have tried, then that would be helpful as well. A blanket I have tried all the... statement does not help with narrowing down the issue. ;)

3. John_Beet

John_Beet Thread Starter

Hi Jimr381,

Thanks for the reply. It is happening on all PC's which have Office 2007 installed on. The things I have tried are as follows :-

Installing SP1 for Office 2007
    Clearing the Outlook Cache file
    Changing the Temp location within the registry for Outlook attachments to a File which exists.
    Changed the Temp locations under the Environment Variables of the user account so it isn't as part of the Profile (error message appears whether under the profile or not).
    Ensured that the Temporary Internet Files location is valid and also empty.

One thing i have just been made aware of as well that it isn't just Outlook which has this issue, normal Word Documents within Windows Explorer also exhibit this issue.

4. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Have you tried re-associating the default application to use for opening the file?

5. John_Beet

John_Beet Thread Starter

I have tried that for both for the DOC & DOCX extensions this morning and it has made no difference.

6. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Are you using the same ghost image on all of them?

7. John_Beet

John_Beet Thread Starter

No ghost images used in the install, same source files were used though. Some PC's had Office 2007 installed manually and some were installed using SMS

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/725869

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice