Double Harddrive problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Sweden

Hi Everyone, any solutions on why my pc won't recognize my hard drives? I currently have a 160 gb Western Digital SATA hard drive and another 250 gb Seagate SATA hard drive. I formerly used the 160 as the main master and the 250 as the storage device and after a brief computer problem, I had to open the computer up to fix some wiring problems. If I put in the main 160 without the 250 gb, the computer starts up fine and recognizes it, but now when I put the second hard drive in, my pc doesn't recognize either one. If anyone can help shed some light onto this problem, I am very VERY greatful.

Is the second one set to slave on the hard drive?
The little switch needs to be set to slave, and it also needs to be plugged into the 2nd IDE port.

Sweden

they're both SATA, im sorry if i didn't say that before.
do you need to specify master and slave when using SATA?

I've actually had both of them working before - a SATA power cable blew on the main system HD and I had to replace it. When i turned the computer back on however, both drives were not recognized so i began to experiment and found that the computer runs perfect with the one system drive plugged in but fails to recognize both drives when they're both plugged in.

Sata drives doesn't have a "slave and master" setting.
Does it recognize the other disk if alone to ?
If it doesn't, maybe you wanna explain what
" a SATA power cable blew on the main system HD and I had to replace it"
means ?

Sweden

the SATA power cable from my power supply has two connectors for hard drives (meaning i can plug two harddrives into one cable and they both get the same power). Well, the last connector on the string tore in half (dont ask how) and then i was stuck with only one connector. I went to Comp USA and bought a 4-pin to SATA power connector converter so i can have two SATA connectors again for both my hard drives.
So now, both of my hard drives have power and both spin when i turn the computer on; however, when they are both plugged into the motherboard, the system does not recognize either of them. When i unplug the storage harddrive, the main system harddrive is recognized and makes the computer work fine. When i connect the storage without the system harddrive, the storage does not show up.

Heres a breakdown:
Storage + System HDs = Not Recognized
System HD = Recognized
Storage HD = Not Recognized

I have tried changing the SATA cable to the motherboard by switching them between the two and still, the storage does not work with the system HD and alone.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online