1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Double IP double bandwidth?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by GillIT, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GillIT

GillIT Thread Starter

If I get another IP address, will I be able to double my bandwidth? I use a cable service.

2. caminator

caminator

I'm not an expert, but I highly doubt it. Some of it probably depends on your ISP however.

3. BillC

BillC

No, I don't believe that would help. Your computer can have only one address at a time. However, some ISP are able to change your bandwidth to double your speed. Here in Atlanta, Comcast is "testing" that now. My speed has about doubled and I'm sure I'll be able to keep the increased speed after the "test" peroid for an increased monthly fee. So, check with your ISP.

4. scottosan

scottosan

No

5. play1998

play1998

hey what you can actually do if you really wanted is get dsl and cable and get one of those routers i don tknow if you seen them before but that are for double dsl :) and you can actually devide the bandwith of bouth for the network or use one for backup , its so sweet :)

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Having more IP addresses will do nothing for your available bandwidth, given the same broadband service.

7. GillIT

GillIT Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

I guess this also applies even if two computers use different IPs but same cable line? Right now, I share a router with two other people.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If three people can't share broadband, you need to break the connection of the guy using Kazaa and hogging the bandwidth! :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!