1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Double modem detected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dingus, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Hi there, for some reason my system keeps detecting 2 dial-up modems yet I only have one installed. I've removed and did add/remove hardware and each time I get two modems detected. Both identical except one is #2.

Any ideas folks.

2. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

Have you tried removing both from System>Device Manager and rebooting to let the system detect it?

That happened to me with a sound card once, and removing it and letting Windows detect it solved the problem.

Hope this helps,

MBN

3. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Thanks MustB, I removed it using My Computer/properties/device manager and also control panel/modem but each time I rebooted my PC detected two modems.
    I've also found out that my modem (on the correct port 3) will not respond to any programs yet the second (on port 4) will. However I can't dial out as my modem is definitely using port 3 !!!!!!!! :confused:

4. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

Can you offer some specs? PC operating system, modem brand/model, internal/external...

MBN

5. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

MustB yes, I can, and will.
    My PC is a Compaq Presario with ME os and my Modem is Conextant.
    Since posting I removed both my DSL modem and my dial-up and removed alll reference to modems then cleaned the registry. I then rebooted and guess what........... the modem is STILL being detected. AAAAHHHH !!!!!! :confused:

6. K7M

K7M

try removing the modem(s) while in safe mode. then reboot and see what you get.

7. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Thanks K7M but no luck still. After reboot my system detected a modem even when it's sitting on my desk............. mmmmm perhaps I have a really really really clever PC.

8. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hi,

Instead of removing it, try disabling it this time. That should work.

9. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply Mark, I've done what you suggested but how will this stop the conflict. When I reinstall my modem the system can see two modems where I only have one.
    This causes me a problem when some of my dial out programs (pcAnywhere etc) captures the wrong modem. :(

10. K7M

K7M

along with disabling the modem(s) remove com 3 and 4 in device manager. (that's where you say the modem is connected) and again do this in safe mode. then reboot.

11. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

K7M thanks again for supporting my post.
    While carrying out your suggestion I noticed that there were also two modem enumerators so I removed one. Which did the trick I don't know which one worked but least I resolved it because of your help.

Many thanks :D

[Resolved]

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222350

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice