1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Double Monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lola2001, Dec 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

I just installed a double port video card (ati x1600 pro).

I've hooked up my monitor, installed drivers, everything is fine.

Then I plug in the secondary monitor (an lcd tv actually). I can see my wallpaper but nothing else, no icons, mouse etc..

What can I do? I have no idea. There are no instructions in the box and the support line is constantly busy.

Thanks.;)

Using windows 2000..

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Did you run the Catalyst Control Panel? That's where you configure the dual monitor support.

3. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

Hmmmm, yeah, I have that, and I looked at it but I have no idea what to change.

I see that it is detecting my monitor and my tv, if I click identify I get a big number 1 on my monitor and a number 2 on the TV but other than that all I can see on the TV is the wallpaper.

If I move the mouse off the monitor screen, I can see it on the TV, but there is nothing on the TV I can click on anyway.

4. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

After playing around I found a clone setting, that did the trick. Thanks for your help, I was getting very frustrated. :)

5. Scorpion

Scorpion

Well, it wont....mine is the same. Unless I actually drag an icon to that side, it stays clear. This is normal with newer cards...older ones used to have the ability to have the start bar on BOTH sides...was horrible.

Scorp.

6. JohnWill

The secondary monitor is normally blank, unless you put something on it. The beauty of it is you can run applications over there. I use it all the time when I'm programming or creating documentation. :)

7. GripS

GripS

8. JohnWill

I use UltraMon, same idea. :)

9. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

Well, I can see my desktop, icons and all on both screens at the same time now, which is what I wanted. I don't know what the purpose of it being blank would be.

I play DVD's from my computer and watch them on my TV. I have an LCD tv mounted to the wall and no place for a DVD player so this is what I wanted it for.

Thanks all.

10. JohnWill

Why would you want two copies of the same desktop? I have the dual monitors so I can put different things on them. :)

11. GripS

GripS

Exactly. It's all about having more screen real estate to have multiple documents open at the same time.

12. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

Well, I wouldn't have a clue how to put different things on each monitor but I have an LCD TV next to that computer and it is mounted on the wall, no place for a DVD player, so I wanted to use the computer to play DVD's and watch them on the TV. I know...there is probably a way easier way but that is all I could think of.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/528012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice