1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Double Natting, need help plz.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by vamputin, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vamputin

vamputin Thread Starter

I have an Actiontec M1000 modem/router connected to a Buffalo WHR-G125 router and then to my computer. I am trying to open a port but when I test the port it seems to be closed. I tried to do Transparent Bridging with the M1000 but can not seem to get the PPPoE working on my other router. I called Qwest, which is my DSL provider but no real help there since they won't help me with the router they did not supply. I am coming to my wits end because normally I can fix this stuff and for the life of me I can't seem to get this. I entered my user name and password for the PPPoE on the Buffalo router but did not enter the DNS server info or a subnet mask. Is this my issue? Sorry if this question seems to noobish but hey I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

2. BigBadBern

BigBadBern

You shouldn't have PPPoE setup on your Buffalo router, it should be either simply Dynamic or Static IP, whatever you want to do, I would suggest Dynamic, so you need to connect the WAN port of the Buffalo to one of the LAN port on the Actiontec. The Actiontec will be for example IP 192.168.0.1, setup to be a DHCP server, it will assign an IP to the Buffalo router, which in return should be setup on the LAN side as 192.168.1.1, also as a DHCP server, so it will assign IP addresses in the 192.168.1.x subnet to your PC(s).

I think that's the first issue, then you should be able to open the ports on both routers to have it working.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are you setting the Buffalo router's WAN the same as it was set on the Actiontec before you configured it in Transparent Bridging mode? After you bridged the Actiontec did you unplug/shut down everything and then bring it up in modem, router, computer order?

Am I correct in assuming that Transparent Bridging is the mode that makes the unit act like a modem only, passing the complete public IP configuration on to whatever you connect to it?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758616

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice