Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Double-sided DVD+RW

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
Can you tell me if anyone sells double-sided DVD+RW discs. I know they sell DVD/RW and DVD/R but unfortunately they do not work on my system, I need the ones that have the + before the RW. If you know of any source I would be most grateful.
Thanks again.

#3 ·
Double sided disks are "flippies", you flip them over to record the other side.

Personally, I'm somewhat at a loss as to the dogged determination being followed trying to find these elusive disks. What's the difference, really? :rolleyes:

#4 ·
It's been a long time since I used flippies. Must have been 5"1/4 floppies in my commodore 64, with an extra hole cut in to them of course. I'm getting old :(

Personally, if readers/writers can't use both sides at once, I see little added value in a double sided flippy versus two single sided dvd's.

#5 ·
That's what has me confused! :confused: It's as much trouble to record the double-sided ones as two single sided ones, and they'll be a ton more expensive! What's the point?

#8 ·
700mb CD-R = ~ 0.7gb
4.7gb DVD = ~ 4.38 gb (Using traditional sizes 1024 bytes in a kb)

So 100 CD-R discs would fit on just 16 DVD+-r/w, or 8 double dided DVD-+R/W.

There are 2 reasons I see to prefer double sided.

1) Being a more hardy media... Most all optical media these days is made really cheaply, not pressed but with the reflective layer at the top of the disc covered by a thin layer of varnish... Depending on quality of media it is really easy to ruin a disk from the top! Double Sided discs are like pressed, reflective material<where the data is stored> is in the centre protected by 2 sides of ‘thick’ plastic.

2) For people with a lot of data where area and or weight becomes a consideration. Backpackers might rather carry 25 double sided vs 50 regular discs, and so forth.

The cost of double sided is outrageously high vs the others, but with demand it should fall... Verbatum and others make DVD-R double sided at about $80 per package of 10. If anyone knows a company making/selling DVD+R/DVD+RW discs double sided please post(Yet to find any).

#9 ·
Well, in truth, unless you use them as frizbees, it's not much of an issue with SS media being damaged on the label side. I've seen a ton of them damaged on the clear side, but I've yet to run across one that was damaged on the top to the point it wouldn't read. I also doubt that I'll be back-packing my DVD's around any time soon. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.